Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Create separate queries from initial Excel list

HI all,

I have an interesting issue.  I get an Excel sheet with a list of 10 different Excel files (in 10 different folders). 

The list is very simple - 3 columns.  

Column 1 = the path to the Excel file (C";\\networkpath\xxxxx.xlsx)

Column 2 = the sheet name in the Excel File that I want (ie. ReportMe) since each workbook has multiple sheetsand I have to know which one is the one for the report

Column 3 = an identifier field - call it ListID

I have been experimenting with Functions and Parameters and am not quite getting what I need from this initial input.

What I want to get next is 10 separate queries (I am able to get to a point where they all append, but that is not quite right).

I want something like:

Query 1 = if ListID is "1" then go to the path and the named sheet in the original list and bring that sheet's results back

Query 2 = if ListID  is "2" then go to the path and the named sheet in the original list and bring that sheet's results back

Query 3 = if ListID is "3" then go to the path and the named sheet in the original list and bring that sheet's results back

and so on up to query 10

So 3 variables in my mind - ListID, Path and SheetName

And some sort of invoke function to get that list.

I can't just hard code the 10 queries as the files, paths and sheet names will change.

Thanks for any help!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.