cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: Create second Calendar table from an original Calendar table

By use case, I just trying to understand why you need this second table. Is it just for display purposes or are you using it in another calculation or ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Mark973 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Greg -  I really appreciate your comments on this subject.  Thank you.  Mark

Ok.  I thought I posted this last night, but apparently the connection was lost and the upload failed (which I discovered this morning).

Short Answer: 

The "New_Calendar" supports visuals. 

More Words:

User makes selection from Slicer which is connected to a table with start and end dates.  The selected start and end dates populate a measure (= Measure4 in your example) in table "Calendar" which really shows the range of dates.  The "Calendar" table is the Base date table (if you will) and spans a large time frame of say 1/1/21016 to 12/31/2026.  That range of dates (usually a rolling 2 year period) is used to populate "New_Calendar" (in DAX jargon this is referred to as a Date Dimension table).  The report's visuals run off of "New_Calendar".

Other Details:

The table connected to the Slicer is downloaded from a SQL database (refreshed daily).  The New_Calendar will need other date related columns (e.g., Fiscal Year, etc. which I still need to figure out) around the Date range defined by Measure4.

I wanted to upload a pbix file that has shows it (but alas don't have the permission to upload the files). 

Super User
Super User

@Mark973 - OK, so crazy thought, why not just use a measure that returns N if it is not in the date range and Y if it is and use that as a visual filter instead of creating an entirely new table?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Mark973 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the idea, I will take a look at it.  Simple always beats Complicated.