Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create second Calendar table from an original Calendar table

Hi -

I a have calendar table with with two columns, Date [=Calendar(Date(2015, 1, 1), Date(2018, 12, 31)] and a Measure [= "Y" or "N"].

I want create a second calendar table that includes the Dates from the original where the measure equals "Y" (see tables below).

Thank you, Mark 

Original Table Second Table
DateMeasure Date
1/1/2015N  
1/2/2015N  
1/3/2015Y 1/3/2015
1/4/2015Y===>1/4/2015
:  :
12/30/2018Y 12/30/2018
12/31/2018N  
13 REPLIES 13
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you should be able to do that like this:

New Calendar = 
VAR __table = ADDCOLUMNS(ALL('Date'),"__Measure",[Measure])
RETURN
FILTER(__table,[__Measure] = "Y")

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg - The new calendar didn't seem to work, as it seemd to ignore the filter, and shows the entire range of the original calendar.

Would you have any suggestions?

The sample code was adjusted as shown below ... 

NEW_CALENDAR = 
VAR __table = ADDCOLUMNS(ALL('CALENDAR'[Date]),"__Measure",'CALENDAR'[Is In Date Range])
RETURN
FILTER('CALENDAR','CALENDAR'[Is In Date Range] = "Y")

A picture of the original calendar and new calander is below.  I am wanting the New Calendar to show only 5/12/2018 to 5/20/2018

Capture10.PNG

@Anonymous, not sure, I created it in my test environment and it seems to work. See attached Page 10. Calendar, New Calendar and Measure 4.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg - I didn't see any attachments (Go Bucks! ... I see you are from Columbus.)

OK, let me try that again.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it.  Thanks.   And yes your example works.

In my example, the indicator (Measure4) in Calendar is dynamic based on a slicer value so the dates with "Y" (Measure4) changes from slicer to value to value.  And for whatever the reason, Measure4 in New Calendar won't change and mirror what is in Calendar.  

Thanks for your help.

@Anonymous - Yes, unfortunately that is correct. A calculated table is not dynamic, it only updates upon data refresh. Let me think about that and what you are trying to accomplish. Can you provide a use case? Because it should be possible to generate a measure that essentially filters your table correctly and provides the appearance of another calendar table but the usefulness of that is going to depend on what you are actually trying to accomplish.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler

I can provide a pbix file which will have have the exact specifics of what I am trying to accomplish.  Is that what you mean by 
"use case"? 

I will try to get that this evening.

Thanks, Mark

By use case, I just trying to understand why you need this second table. Is it just for display purposes or are you using it in another calculation or ?

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg -  I really appreciate your comments on this subject.  Thank you.  Mark

Ok.  I thought I posted this last night, but apparently the connection was lost and the upload failed (which I discovered this morning).

Short Answer: 

The "New_Calendar" supports visuals. 

More Words:

User makes selection from Slicer which is connected to a table with start and end dates.  The selected start and end dates populate a measure (= Measure4 in your example) in table "Calendar" which really shows the range of dates.  The "Calendar" table is the Base date table (if you will) and spans a large time frame of say 1/1/21016 to 12/31/2026.  That range of dates (usually a rolling 2 year period) is used to populate "New_Calendar" (in DAX jargon this is referred to as a Date Dimension table).  The report's visuals run off of "New_Calendar".

Other Details:

The table connected to the Slicer is downloaded from a SQL database (refreshed daily).  The New_Calendar will need other date related columns (e.g., Fiscal Year, etc. which I still need to figure out) around the Date range defined by Measure4.

I wanted to upload a pbix file that has shows it (but alas don't have the permission to upload the files). 

@Anonymous - OK, so crazy thought, why not just use a measure that returns N if it is not in the date range and Y if it is and use that as a visual filter instead of creating an entirely new table?

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the idea, I will take a look at it.  Simple always beats Complicated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will give that a try .  Thank you.  Just such a newbe to DAX, "simple" things take questions to learn.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.