Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

Create scatter chart with date on x axis

Hello I have got simple test data set:

sample.PNG

I would like to create scatter chart I am used to do in R with plot (x,y).

I have got on problem

Chart is still aggregating values on x and y axis. I got over it by creating index column and using it in details.

But how to create chart when I want to use my Date column in x axis? (I do not want to create separate columns for day,month,quarter as it will show you only number in mousehover ).

My idea is to use directly date column to have 1-Jan, 2-Jan etc on x axis.

Is it possible? if yes, how?

Thanks

To have all

4 REPLIES 4
Mayank_Yavda
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @mstefancik 

Here is Scatter Plot - Categorical X Axis chart which will help to get categorical variable on X-axis and on Y-axis with or without aggregating them( you can change it by summarizing or not summarizing them).

Scatter Plot - Categorical X Axis .PBIVizEdit.comScatter Plot - Categorical X Axis .PBIVizEdit.com

Mayank_Yavda_1-1651756396617.png

Download link for the custom visual file in this page

https://pbivizedit.com/gallery/scatter-plot-with-categorical-data 

This was made with our Custom Visual creator tool PBIVizEdit.com. With this tool,

• anyone, irrespective of technical skills, can create their own visuals
  • 15 minutes to create a visual from scratch
  • opens up many additional attributes to edit (for e.g. labels, tooltips, legends position, etc)

Give this a shot and let us know if you face any problem/errors.
You can use the editor to modify your visual further (some modifications cannot be done in Power BI window and have to be in editor).

Thanks,
Team PBIVizEdit

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can set the display format of your date in the 'Modeling' ribbon menu under Data Format, to determine how the date will be displayed in visuals.

If your concern is the default date hierarchy that is generated when adding a date to an axis, you can choose to display just the date. Some reading on this feature.

This sounds logical, but I'm running into the same problem. My date is formatted in the model and set to "Do not Summarize".

But on the X axis of the Scatter plot it shows as "Count of date". The only thing I can change is set it to distinct count. It does not show the date hierarchy either. 

Any ideas?

2016-02-16_13-21-01.png

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.