Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create relationship between two columns without unique values?

I'm trying to relate two date&time columns in two separate tables.

One column captures the date&time a prospect entered my recruitment system.

The other column captures the date&time of unique page views from our websites google analytics.

Because of the volume of data in each of these tables, there are a few duplicate values in each column. This is not a flaw in the data. Is it impossible to create relationships between columns that do not have 100% unique values? What are my options, how should I proceed with this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@Anonymous, it is always good practice to have a separate date table, something like the following will help you create one: https://www.agilebi.com.au/blog/power-bi-date-dimension

I would then join each of your 2 tables to the separate date table to get around your issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@Anonymous, it is always good practice to have a separate date table, something like the following will help you create one: https://www.agilebi.com.au/blog/power-bi-date-dimension

I would then join each of your 2 tables to the separate date table to get around your issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcarville Awesome idea! That worked exactly as I needed it to. Really appreciate it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the past what i've done to overcome this challenge is simply hop in the query editor and "remove duplicates" from the data set. I wouldnt advise you do this is many duplicates exist but if its a matter of very minimal data points causing the issue it can at least get you started. 

Many to many relationships cannot exist in PBI as far as I know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Considering the scope of my inquiry I can probably get away with this, at least as a stopgap solution! Thanks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.