Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

harishkanyal
Frequent Visitor

Create new table by filtering column value

Hi,

Please let me know how to create new table from one Big table. I would like to create 3-4 small tables from one big based on one the column value.

Thanks

Harish

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

This is the "M" code for the main table:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\temp\powerbi\departments.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=3, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Department", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"DeptType", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

For DeptType A

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\temp\powerbi\departments.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=3, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Department", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"DeptType", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([DeptType] = "A"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

For DeptType B

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Department", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"DeptType", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([DeptType] = "B"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Red text indicates the only real difference in the queries. You can filter a column by clicking on the down arrow in the column in the Query Editor and just selecting the value(s) that you want.

Again, I'm not entirely clear on the use case. If you are new to Power BI, you will find that many of the things that you might typically create a star schema for in traditional multi-dimensional cubes are not entirely necessary in Power BI due to how slicers work, etc. So, if you want a particular measure or calculation to just be on DeptType A or DeptType B, you can put that column in a visual along with your measure and the context of the visual will give you the right answer. Just throwing that out there because it is something I had to slowly realize over time coming from a more traditional BI background.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Hi @harishkanyal,

Smoupre’s solution seems well, I’d like to share other way to solve your issue based on dax:

SubTable A = CALCULATETABLE(“Main Table”,FILTER(“Main Table”, “Main Table”[DeptType]="A"))

SubTable B = CALCULATETABLE(“Main Table”,FILTER(“Main Table”, “Main Table”[DeptType]="B"))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.