Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VegarOyfoss
Helper I
Helper I

Create new query/table based on content of a column - part 2 - DirectQuery

Hi all

This question has already been answerd before based on me importing the data from a SQLdatabase, and creating my own data model. However, since this table consists of 14.4 million rows and is growing with aprox 25-35000 rows daily, I would like to use DirectQuery instead, as this is much quicker

The problem:

"I have a table where one of the column specify a particular task (one our of four possibilities - Closed SCTasks, Closed Tickets, Touched Tickets and Effort Time). I would like to create 4 new tables based on the content of this coulmn called "Task". If it says Closed SCTasks, I want all of those rows copied into a new table/quiry where I only have Closed SCTasks/Effot Time and so on."

task.png

If I would have imported the data instead of directquery, I could use a FILTER expression to make a new table

NewTable1 =
FILTER ( Table1, Table1[Task] = "Closed SCTasks" )

Big thanks to @AlB  for giving me this solution

However, since using DirectQuery, it is not possible to create a new table. Is there any other way I can achieve the same or similar as above? Maybe using some kind of measure?

2 REPLIES 2
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

Hi @VegarOyfoss ,

As calculated tables are not supported in DirectQuery Mode. Other alternative is to take 4 pages and apply Page level filter based on Task category individually.

Page 1 --> Page Level Filter as "Closed SCTasks"

Page 2 --> Page Level Filter as " Closed Tickets"

Page 3 --> Page Level Filter as "Touched Tickets"

Page 4 --> Page Level Filter as "Effort Time"

So, individual page contains only single TAsk category accordingly.

Don't forget to hit Thumbs up and accept this as a solution if you find it helpful! 

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Hi @Tahreem24 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually tried that. What I am trying to acheave is a dashboard where I have all KPIs on top in CARDS, and below I have a Column Chart with one KPI per agents and team (in this case only agents) as below:

directquery.png

And as you can see, when I click on one agent, all the KPIs change in the top CARDS accordingly

directquery2.png

However, when I try this in DirectQuery, and I filter each card and column chart on each page, only the CARD on top according to the KPI in the Column Chart is reflected, the others are 'blank'. 

directquery3.pngdirectquery4.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.