Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JayTG123
Advocate I
Advocate I

Create new column for Fiscal Year

Hi all,

I have the following data in Power Bi  - I have seperated the three columns up individually however I wish to create a new year column that will display the year like 2021/22 (UK Financial Year) The year starts from April - March. I have tried other methords I found on these forums but I am unable to replicate the year followed by the forward slash / and then then the 22 afterwards.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 193834.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @JayTG123 ,
Go to Power Query, select Conditional Column, insert the code:

if [Offense date.2] >= 4 then Text.Combine({Text.From([Offense date.3]),Text.From([Offense date.3]+1-2000)},"/") else Text.Combine({Text.From([Offense date.3]-1),Text.From([Offense date.3]-2000)},"/")

Pics to follow.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @JayTG123 ,
Go to Power Query, select Conditional Column, insert the code:

if [Offense date.2] >= 4 then Text.Combine({Text.From([Offense date.3]),Text.From([Offense date.3]+1-2000)},"/") else Text.Combine({Text.From([Offense date.3]-1),Text.From([Offense date.3]-2000)},"/")

Pics to follow.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Hi @JayTG123 Here are the steps:
Go to Power Query

Select Add Column

Select Custom Column

Add a title for the column

Paste the code into the box click ok

Change the column type to Text

Nathaniel

Nathaniel_C_0-1638308540310.png

Hi @Nathaniel_C  thank you so much for responding!! I have done exactly as you said but I am now getting an error message in the new column.. please see below:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator >= to types Record and Number.
Details:
Operator=>=
Left=
Offence date.2=10
Right=4

Hi @JayTG123  as it looks like you split out the date into these three columns, I assumed that they are whole numbers, am I correct?
Thank you,

Nathaniel

Hi @Nathaniel_C Yes this was a date column (eg: 30/11/2021) but I seperated it out into three columns - did I need to do this ? 

After I split the columns I then changed the type to Whole Number. 

@JayTG123 I sent a link to my pbix, maybe that will be helpful.

Nathaniel

THANK YOU !!! @Nathaniel_C  Its worked and thank you for taking the time to send me your test file over. 😀

Jay

Hi @JayTG123, you are most welcome!  If you had kept it as a date column, you could have done something like Date.Year() to get the year from the date. Let me recommend "Master Your Data" by @KenPuls and Miguel Escobar!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors