Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jritchey
Frequent Visitor

Create multiple rows from columns

Hello,

I'm currently working with a dataset that is coming in from one of our project offices excel files. The data has 27 columns, I need to take the last 14 columns and create new rows for those entries and keep the data in the first 15 columns. In excel I would look to use a VBA to alter the data, but I'd prefer to do this on my end in Power BI as to not transform their data and the way they're using it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The unpivot-solution in the query editor would look like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKz0pNLvErzU1KLVLSUQrISCxOVTAEspxLi4pS80qALLfSvJTUFLikETbJWJ1oJUcnZ0OQJEi3oYEBkDQFESAhIzALJAhS6OziamJqBlVpZGAAV28E1mMAFY2NBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ProjectNumber = _t, #"Phase 1" = _t, Current = _t, Funded = _t, Phase2 = _t, asdf = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ProjectNumber", type text}, {"Phase 1", Int64.Type}, {"Current", Int64.Type}, {"Funded", Int64.Type}, {"Phase 2", Int64.Type}, {"Current_1", Int64.Type}, {"Funded_2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"ProjectNumber"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter", {{"Attribute.1", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "_"), type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter",{{"Attribute.2", "Phase"}}),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Renamed Columns",{"Phase"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([Attribute.1] <> "Phase")),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Filtered Rows", List.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows"[Attribute.1]), "Attribute.1", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

This is following the method I've described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/08/12/how-to-pivot-multiple-measurescolumns-in-power-query/ 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @jritchey 

Check out the unpivot-feature in the query editor.

If that's not working, please paste sample of your data: before and after.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Using the unpivot isn't working. What I'm trying to do with the query is this:

SS3.PNG

The unpivot-solution in the query editor would look like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKz0pNLvErzU1KLVLSUQrISCxOVTAEspxLi4pS80qALLfSvJTUFLikETbJWJ1oJUcnZ0OQJEi3oYEBkDQFESAhIzALJAhS6OziamJqBlVpZGAAV28E1mMAFY2NBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ProjectNumber = _t, #"Phase 1" = _t, Current = _t, Funded = _t, Phase2 = _t, asdf = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ProjectNumber", type text}, {"Phase 1", Int64.Type}, {"Current", Int64.Type}, {"Funded", Int64.Type}, {"Phase 2", Int64.Type}, {"Current_1", Int64.Type}, {"Funded_2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"ProjectNumber"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter", {{"Attribute.1", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "_"), type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter",{{"Attribute.2", "Phase"}}),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Renamed Columns",{"Phase"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([Attribute.1] <> "Phase")),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Filtered Rows", List.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows"[Attribute.1]), "Attribute.1", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

This is following the method I've described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/08/12/how-to-pivot-multiple-measurescolumns-in-power-query/ 

This might not the best efficient way. But try

union(
summarize(table, table[project Number] , table[project Name], table[phase], table[Current], table[funded]),
summarize(table, table[project Number] , table[project Name], table[phase2], table[Current2], table[funded2]),
summarize(table, table[project Number] , table[project Name], table[phase3], table[Current3], table[funded3]),
summarize(table, table[project Number] , table[project Name], table[phase4], table[Current4], table[funded4])
)

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.