Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jimny
Regular Visitor

Create measure from multiple related table (3 table's involved)

Forum.jpg

Hi,
I need some help to create a measure in Power BI. I can’t use “Cross filter direction”: “Both” in the join between tables, because it’s not supported by “SQL Server 2014” in the tabular model cube.

Background info

Table: Subsctiption
We have Subscription with a certain SubscriptionID, SubscriptionStartDate and SubscriptionEndDate, at Subscription table.

Table: SubscriptionVersion
It is possible to update a Subscription. For example; when the productID is changed. When this happens, the SubscriptionID remains the same, but a new SubscriptionVersion line is added to the SubscriptionVersionTable. With new SubscriptionVersionStartDate and SubscriptionVersionEndDate.

I managed to create a measure:
RunTotalSubscriptionVerStarted = CALCULATE([CountSubscriptionVerStart];FILTER(ALL('Time'[PK_Date]);'Time'[PK_Date]<=MAX('Time'[PK_Date])))
This measure calculates the running total of started SubscriptionVersion, from SubscriptionVersion table. By selecting a PK_Date from Time table.

Table: ProductInstanceUsage
This table give the usage of “TotalMB’s” by Date, by SubscriptionID.

I managed to create a measure:
SubscritionVersion = CALCULATE(max(SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionVersion]);FILTER(SubscriptionVersion;ProductInstanceUsage[SubscriptionID]=SubscriptionVersion[subscriptionID]&&ProductInstanceUsage[Date]>=SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionVersionStartDate]&&if(ISBLANK(SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionVersionEndDate]);1-1-2070;ProductInstanceUsage[Date]<SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionVersionEndDate])))
This measure calculates the “SubscriptionVersion” from the “SubscriptionVersion” table, by “SubscrtiptionID”, between “SubscriptionVersionStartDate” and “subscriptionVersionEndDate”

Table: Time
Is a time table I have simplified for this case example.

Issue:
How can I create a measure at the SubscriptionVersionTable: that will give me ProductInstandeUsage[TotalMB’s], by given period from Time[PK_Date], by selecting SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionProductId]

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

>> How can I create a measure at the SubscriptionVersionTable: that will give me ProductInstandeUsage[TotalMB’s], by given period from Time[PK_Date], by selecting SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionProductId]
According to your description, you want to get the sum of ProductInstandeUsage[TotalMB’s] based on choosed “Time[PK_Date]” and “SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionProductId]”, right?

You can refer to below measure to get the specify sum of ProductInstandeUsage[TotalMBs]:

Sum of Specify SubscriptionID and Date = CALCULATE(SUM(ProductInstanceUsage[Sum of TotalMBs]), FILTER(ProductInstanceUsage,ProductInstanceUsage[SubscripitonID]= if(HASONEVALUE(SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID]),LASTNONBLANK(SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID],SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID]),BLANK())&&ProductInstanceUsage[Date]=if(HASONEVALUE(DateTable[Date]),MAX(DateTable[Date]),BLANK())))

Slicers:

Capture7.PNGCapture8.PNG

Result:

Capture9.PNGCapture10.PNGCapture11.PNG

Notice: this measure only works when you choose one item.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

I used the measure in Power BI, see below.

SumTotalMBsUsage = CALCULATE(SUM(ProductInstanceUsage[TotalMBs]); FILTER(ProductInstanceUsage;ProductInstanceUsage[SubscriptionID]= if(HASONEVALUE(SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID]);LASTNONBLANK(SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID];SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID]);BLANK())&&ProductInstanceUsage[Date]=if(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Date]);MAX('Date'[Date]);BLANK())))

I got data by selecting "MainVoiceProduct" = 114, and "SubscrtiptionID" = 1114, for 4 dates in the Timetable. It seems like

I get the sum of "TotalMBs" where for the SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID] <> ProductInstanceUsage[SubscriptionID]

It should be the otherway around where SubscriptionVersion[SubscriptionID] = ProductInstanceUsage[SubscriptionID].

BI1.PNG

So the output should be 8.14 instead of 2512.87

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.