cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizsz Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Create group

Hi,

I have a live connection to a database due to which the group function is not enabled in Power BI. So I’m looking for other ways to visualize the data in Power BI in a grouped way. I was thinking this should work using a new measure, but I can’t figure out the proper DAX function to do so.

The values I need to group and display in the report are stored in a table called “Measures” in the field “amount”. The values I want to group, are stored in a table “Description” in the field “name”. I'd like to label them by saying if name = Apple or Banana, the new label newname = Fruit, else it is Vegetable.

What would be the best way to do this?

Thx -

Amount (table Measures)//Name (table Description)//newname

1//Apple//Fruit

2//Banana//Fruit

3//Lettuce//Vegetable

4//Apple//Fruit

5//Banana//Fruit

6//Lettuce//Vegetable

4 REPLIES 4
Till Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Create group

Hey,

i hope i understand you correctly.

you can backed this with the IF function in Power BI

IF(logical_test>,<value_if_true>, value_if_false)  

For more values combinated with If(and.....

Regards
Till

lizsz Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Till for the reply. I had tried to use IF, but seem not able to work out the proper function. I have no experience with DAX and have been looking around, but am probably just missing some basics to figure it out.

My attempt was:

group = IF(OR(Description[Name] = “Apple”, Description[Name] = “Banana”);”Fruit”;”Vegetable”)

Could you help me indicate what needs to be corrected?

Many thanks -

Till Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hey,

now it is clear:
Step One:
Make a new column in your table with this measure
Spalte = if(OR('Tabelle 1'[Name]="Apfel";'Tabelle 1'[Name]="Banane");"Fruit";"Vegetable")

2018-01-14_174144.jpg

This works.
Kind regards
Till

lizsz Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I receive an error on this, indicating that a single value for column 'name' in table 'Description' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count or sum to get a single result.

Could this be related to not being able to define a new column when working with a live connection? Would there be another way or an update to the DAX formula that could still bring the result?

Thanks,