Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arindam23
Frequent Visitor

Create filter for Top N in various categories

Hi,

I have created a set of visualizations on a large data set of list of opportunity owners and sales, etc. done by them in various product categories (there can be multiple rows with same opportunity owner and product category). I want to filter these charts to show values applicable only to top 3 opportunity owners in each category (A, B & C). Top 3 is defined by the value of a parameter (say, sum of revenue per opportunity owner within each category). 

The added complexity is that I also have a set of filters/slicers based on which the Top 3 would change. 

Hence, the way I think my requirement can be possibly achieved is by calculating a measure which is true if the opportunity owner in within the top 3 of any of the category -> putting this measure in visualizations where I want to apply it. 

Can anyone suggest if it feasible and if yes, what can be the approach?

Also, will using a dynamic table be possible in this scenario? I understood a static table can be generated but that won't serve my purpose. 

Thanks,

Arindam Mohanta

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arindam23

As you said, “filter these charts to show values applicable only to top 3 opportunity owners in each category (A, B & C). Top 3 is defined by the value of a parameter (say, sum of revenue per opportunity owner within each category)”

Please read steps as follows to see if it helps.

1.sum of revenue per opportunity owner within each category:

Measure1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[sales]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[product categories]),[opportunity owners]=SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[opportunity owners])))

2.top N opportunity owners in each category:

Measure2 =
RANKX ( ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[product categories] ), [Measure1],, DESC )

2.png

3.Top3

Enter data to create a table with number 1, 2,3

Then create a measure in this new table that will hold the value that was chosen, and then we can use it in other measures’ calculations later

Measure 3 =
MIN ( 'Top'[top] )

4.Finally create a measure we can use for displaying on tables, relates to highlighting which are the Top3 based on current selections, by returning an arrow we can use as a field in the table for the Top3

Measure 4 =
IF ( [Measure2] <= [Measure 3], "->" )

3.png

4.png

As for “will using a dynamic table be possible in this scenario”, what kind of dynamic table you want to add and how to use it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.