Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Michael-PBI
Frequent Visitor

Create dynamically calculated table based on measures to determine if FY Plan or Budget is defined

Hi

For a project portfolio, I have Plan and Budget data broken down by FY-Month and CostType. Now I need to determine whether a specific project has any Plan or Bugdet amounts in the current or previous FY.

The relevant tables are

• Projects : PID - Name
  • Financial Facts: PID - Source - Type - Date - Amount
  • Calendar: Date - FY - Month - FYoffset

The project table has ~ 1000 records, the Financial facts has ~ 100.000 records, the calendar table has ~3650 records (= 10 years).

Tables Project and Financials are linked by PID, Financials and Calendar are linked by date (=last day of the month).

In Calendar table the FYoffset =0 for the current FY; and =-1 for previous FY based on todays date (our FY starts Oct, 1st).

Also, I already have two measures defined to determine the budgeted and planned amounts.

• Budget = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]), 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Budget")
  • Planned = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),'Financial Facts'[Source]="Planned")

Now, I need to create a dynamically calculated table to show per PID, whether is has any Plan/Budget in Curr/Prev FY.

Those shall be used as filters for both visuals (slicers, list, matrix, charts) and report or page filters. Wondering, if I rather need to go back to Power Query (M-code) and add those 4 attributes as calculated columns in a new query (PID - inPrevPlan - inPrevBudget - inCurrPlan - inCurrBudget).

Or is there a better way to do this in DAX, evtl. by adding more measures?

Would performance likely be better in DAX, or M?

I'm pretty familiar with M-code, but also wanted to get better at DAX too (just a DAX beginner right now).

I already tried to play with the Solving Attendance with the Disconnected Table Trick from Greg Deckler.

And I looked at the solution provided by v-sihou-msft for the Filter by a measure  problem.

Both seemed very promising to me, but I cannot get it to work for my case.

Appreciate any help to move me into the right direction.

Michael

Sample source tables:

Projects
PIDName
100Project A
110Project B
120Project C

Financial Facts
PIDSourceTypeDateAmount
100PlannedLabor30-Sep120
100PlannedTravel31-Oct200
100BudgetLabor30-Sep120
100BudgetTravel31-Oct200
110PlannedLabor30-Sep300
110PlannedTravel31-Oct200
110BudgetLabor30-Sep300
120PlannedLabor31-Oct400
120BudgetLabor31-Oct400

Calendar
DateFYMonthFYoffset 
30-SepFY18Sep-1= Prev FY
31-OctFY19Oct0= Curr FY

Desired result:

Dynamically Calculated Table
PIDPrev FY PlanPrev FY BudgetCur FY PlanCur FY Budget
100TRUETRUETRUETRUE
110TRUETRUETRUEFALSE
120FALSEFALSETRUETRUE
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Michael-PBI

You may add 4 measures first. Then you may get the table use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS Function. Here is the sample file for your reference.

Budget18 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Budget"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY18"))
Budget19 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Budget"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY19"))
Planned18 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Planned"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY18"))
Planned19 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Planned"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY19"))
Table =
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
    'Financial Facts'[PID],
    "Planned in FY18", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Planned18] ), "False", "True" ),
    "Planned in FY19", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Planned19] ), "False", "True" ),
    "Budget in FY18", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Budget18] ), "False", "True" ),
    "Budget in FY19", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Budget19] ), "False", "True" )
)

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Michael-PBI

You may create two measures and drag them to Matrix visual as below. Here is the sample file for your reference.

Has Budget = IF(ISBLANK([Budget]),"False","True")
Has Plan = IF(ISBLANK([Planned]),"False","True")

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherie,

Thanks for the quick feedback and the PBI model. Although the two measures calculate well, I can only use them as 'values' in the resulting matrix visual. But what I really need is to use the data in the matrix as 'filters'. So the users can select them in a slicer or set them as default page/report filter.

I already tried various hard coded variations of the result matrix too, but only your layout seems to really do the trick.

I also managed to create the M code to generate the result matrix as a query table in Power Query. So I can at least use the data for slicers and page/report filter as needed. I just had to ensure that when building the relation between the Project table and the Matrix Result set, the Cross Filtering is enabled in both directions.

Capture5.PNG

This was the M code that generates the matrix as a new query table (called 'Dynamic FY relation 3' table in screenshot above).

let
    Source = #"Financial Facts",
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Date"},Calendar,{"Date"},"Calendar",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Calendar" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Calendar", {"FY"}, {"Calendar.FY"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Expanded Calendar", {"PID", "Source", "Calendar.FY"}, {{"FY Total", each List.Sum([Amount]), type number}}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Source", "Calendar.FY"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" in ", QuoteStyle.None),"FY Relation"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Merged Columns", List.Distinct(#"Merged Columns"[#"FY Relation"]), "FY Relation", "FY Total", List.NonNullCount),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Planned in FY18", type text}, {"Budget in FY18", type text}, {"Planned in FY19", type text}, {"Budget in FY19", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value (yes)" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","1","yes",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Planned in FY18", "Budget in FY18", "Planned in FY19", "Budget in FY19"}),
    #"Replaced Value (no)" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value (yes)","0","no",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Planned in FY18", "Budget in FY18", "Planned in FY19", "Budget in FY19"})
in
    #"Replaced Value (no)"

I uploaded a revised PBI model to Dropbox in case someone may find this useful. I also includes the test with soem static result sets that did not support my requirements. (Revised PBI model)

What I still don't know, is if the same table can also be added directly in DAX, and if this would be more performant in DAX. But at least I can go on with what I have so far.

Regards,

Michael

Hi @Michael-PBI

You may add 4 measures first. Then you may get the table use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS Function. Here is the sample file for your reference.

Budget18 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Budget"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY18"))
Budget19 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Budget"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY19"))
Planned18 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Planned"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY18"))
Planned19 = CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Facts'[Amount]),FILTER('Financial Facts', 'Financial Facts'[Source]="Planned"&&RELATED('Calendar'[FY])="FY19"))
Table =
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
    'Financial Facts'[PID],
    "Planned in FY18", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Planned18] ), "False", "True" ),
    "Planned in FY19", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Planned19] ), "False", "True" ),
    "Budget in FY18", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Budget18] ), "False", "True" ),
    "Budget in FY19", IF ( ISBLANK ( [Budget19] ), "False", "True" )
)

Regards,

Cherie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.