Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yatinpurohit
Helper I
Helper I

Create dynamic DAX table filtered by slicer from another table

Good Day everyone,

Requesting some help with this issue after searching for over few hour. I have a table with surver responses for events called SurveyList. it has 2 columns Question and Answer. One question is "What event you attended". The table has other questions related to events.

My requirement is to create a new dynamic table with a column that will store unique (Distinct) values from column Answer where the question is "What event you attended". Effectively, I want to use the new table column as a slicer to filter specific event's feedback/report. 

I checked and to the best of my understanding unfortunately a slicer does not support visual filter.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @yatinpurohit,

Check this:

First create a new calculated column to calculate the number of Answers for each Question to find out the Distinct values. Something like:

Answer Number =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( SurveyList[Answer] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( SurveyList, SurveyList[Question ], SurveyList[Answer] )
)

Then create a new calculated table:

New Survery Table =
FILTER (
    SurveyList,
    SurveyList[Question ] = "What event you attended"
        && SurveyList[Answer Number] = 1
)

7.PNG

If above method doesn't satisfy your requirement. Please share us more detailed information like some sample data and its corresponding expected result. So that we can know your actual situation and provide more accurate suggestions.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You cannot create a dynamic table based on a slicer. I suggest you read this article. https://www.daxpatterns.com/survey/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi @MattAllington ,

do you know why I can create dynamic measure using IN ALLSELECTED as filter

ISVEurC1conv =
var per1 = ALLSELECTED(Period1[period1])
return
CALCULATE(sum(q20_Monthly[ISV EURConstConv]),filter(q20_Monthly,q20_Monthly[Document Date.Year Month Number] in per1))

and why the same does not work when I want to create a table using FILTER:
DynTable2 =
var per1= ALLSELECTED(Period1[period1])
return
FILTER(q20_Monthly, q20_Monthly[Document Date.Year Month Number] IN per1)

Sorry, may be I was not clear. I am not trying to create a table from slicer. I m trying to create a table from another table's column with a condition .

Hi @yatinpurohit,

Check this:

First create a new calculated column to calculate the number of Answers for each Question to find out the Distinct values. Something like:

Answer Number =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( SurveyList[Answer] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( SurveyList, SurveyList[Question ], SurveyList[Answer] )
)

Then create a new calculated table:

New Survery Table =
FILTER (
    SurveyList,
    SurveyList[Question ] = "What event you attended"
        && SurveyList[Answer Number] = 1
)

7.PNG

If above method doesn't satisfy your requirement. Please share us more detailed information like some sample data and its corresponding expected result. So that we can know your actual situation and provide more accurate suggestions.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.