Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create columns dynamically from column values

Hello community

I'm trying to create new columns in a table from the values in one column in the table.

I have a data set as it is shown below:

FromColumns.PNG

And I want to get new columns from the values as it is shown in red.

NewColumns.PNG

I wish to do it automatically.

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Query Editor (M), you can select Column1 and choose "Pivot Column" on the Transform tab.

Maybe that is what you are looking for, however your result columns are empty and COLUMN1 is still in the result tabel.

"Pivot Column" typically aggregates values from another column (e.g. COLUMN2) in the new columns per value in COLUMN1, and then reduce rows so there are no duplicate combinations in the other columns (COLUMN3 and COLUMN4) in your example.

COLUMN1 as such would not be in the result table.

Edit: alternatively you can use the following code in the Advanced Query Editor, in which "TableName" is the name of the previous step:

AddedColumns = Table.SelectColumns(TableName,List.Union({Table.ColumnNames(TableName),List.Distinct(TableName[COLUMN1])}), MissingField.UseNull)

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Query Editor (M), you can select Column1 and choose "Pivot Column" on the Transform tab.

Maybe that is what you are looking for, however your result columns are empty and COLUMN1 is still in the result tabel.

"Pivot Column" typically aggregates values from another column (e.g. COLUMN2) in the new columns per value in COLUMN1, and then reduce rows so there are no duplicate combinations in the other columns (COLUMN3 and COLUMN4) in your example.

COLUMN1 as such would not be in the result table.

Edit: alternatively you can use the following code in the Advanced Query Editor, in which "TableName" is the name of the previous step:

AddedColumns = Table.SelectColumns(TableName,List.Union({Table.ColumnNames(TableName),List.Distinct(TableName[COLUMN1])}), MissingField.UseNull)

I have to bind values to slicer based on value selection in another slicer. For achieving this  I am getting data from different table but if i choose value in slicer that is not reflecting in all the visuals of report.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Deepa that looks like something completely different, so why not just start a new topic?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.