cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbebow Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Create column where there is no relationship between 2 tables

I am new to Power BI.  I have 3 tables:  Table A, Table B, and Table C.  Table A and Table B both have a relationship with Table C but do not have a relationship with each other.  I am trying to figure out how to concatenate 2 fields (one from Table A and one from Table B).  

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xicai Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Create column where there is no relationship between 2 tables

Hi @kbebow ,

According to your description, I create sample data to test the scenario. You can create measure Concatenate in Table A to meet your demand.

Concatenate = MAX('Table A'[Text])&"-"&MAX('Table B'[Text])

If the Cross filter direction in the relationships which Table A and Table B have with Table C are both Single, return the result like picture below, which concatenate each row value from Table A and Table B.

5.jpg

6.png

While, if there are one or two Both for the Cross filter direction in the relationships which Table A and Table B have with Table C , return the result like picture below, which concatenate only matched row value from Table A and Table B.

7.png

Here is my test pbix: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EUn5kSNkSoVAh48ErN...

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @kbebow ,

According to your description, I create sample data to test the scenario. You can create measure Concatenate in Table A to meet your demand.

Concatenate = MAX('Table A'[Text])&"-"&MAX('Table B'[Text])

If the Cross filter direction in the relationships which Table A and Table B have with Table C are both Single, return the result like picture below, which concatenate each row value from Table A and Table B.

5.jpg

6.png

While, if there are one or two Both for the Cross filter direction in the relationships which Table A and Table B have with Table C , return the result like picture below, which concatenate only matched row value from Table A and Table B.

7.png

Here is my test pbix: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EUn5kSNkSoVAh48ErN...

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

kbebow Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much, @v-xicai !  I've been struggling with this for days.