Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mq2020
Helper III
Helper III

Create calculated column from a calculation in a different table

Hi!

I have a table (Table 1) with organisations and another table (Table 2) with users per organisation and whether they are claimin or not.

I want to add a calculated column in Table 1 (in blue below) to show the number of users claiming for each organisation (coming from Table 2). The common field in both tables is the organisation id.

How can I do this please? Thanks

Table 1 
OrganisationUsers Claiming
A1
B2

Table 2  
UserOrganisationUserClaiming Y/N
xAy
yAn
zBy
hBy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mq2020 ,

Please try to create the following measure to get the flag of every organization with claim:

Org Claiming YN = 
VAR sumofClaimU =
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'User'[User] ), 'User'[User Claimed Y/N] = "y" )
RETURN
    IF ( sumofClaimU > 0, "Y", "N" )

claim users.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mq2020 assuming you have a relationship between these two tables on Organisation column, just add a measure and in table visual , drop organization and this new measure.

Measure = 
CALCULATE( COUNTROWS ( Table2 ), Table2[User Claiming] = "Y" )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi!

I do have a relationship of 1 to Many.

What I am trying to do is display a line chart with av.sales for 2 groups (Organisations with users claiming vs Organisations with users not claiming).

The sales are in a 3rd table with has a relationship of Many to 1 with Table 1 (Organisations) so I end up with:

Sales (Many to 1) -> Organisations (1 to Many) -> Users

When i put together info from the sales table and the Users table it is not working, hence, I figured, it may be easier if i add the column I need in the Organisations table (i.e if that organisation has any user claiming)

Thanks,

Hi @mq2020 ,

Could you please provide some sample data in table "Sales"(exclude sensitive data)? What's your expected result? What you want is to get the average of sales? If yes, then whether it need to calculate based on certain conditions?

What I am trying to do is display a line chart with av.sales for 2 groups (Organisations with users claiming vs Organisations with users not claiming).

line chart.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 

These are the tables and relationships:

Model relationship.PNG

Sample data of the 3 tables:

Sales -> sales sample.PNG

Organisations -> organisations sample.PNG

Users -> Users sample.PNG

At the moment I am displaying Av/units per organisation (a measure in the model) over time (visual below).

What I'd like to do is split this into 2 groups (organisations with users claiming vs organisations with users not claiming). 

When I try adding this field (User Claimed Y/N) to the model (in the legend part of the visual), it's not doing what I expect.

expected result.PNG

What I expect is the following (which I've done in excel to demonstrate)

expected result xls.PNG

@mq2020 It is a bit of confusing model, what happens if users under an organization have both yes and no, which bucket it will fall or this will never happen? Yes/No it is at a user level and you are viewing the data at org level, so you need to clarify your business rules.

There are many ways to do it but it will depend on your answer above.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi again,

So I think I found a way to add that extra column however when I try to use IF to do the classification it's giving me a "circular dependancy error" - any idea how to get around this?

I first created a column in table Users to change Y N to 0 and 1 (Just so i can then sum this in the next step)

Users Claiming 1/0 = if(User[User Claimed Y/N]="Y",1,0)

Then I created a column in Organisations table to calculate the sum of users claiming using the following formula, which seems to be working as expected:

Claiming Users = CALCULATE(sum(User[Users Claiming 1/0]),USERELATIONSHIP(Organisations[Organisation ID],User[Organisation ID]))

My last step is to add an extra column in the Table Organisations to classify each organistion into groups depending on the value of the calcualted column above, however when I do this simple IF statement I get a circular dependency error - not sure how to get around this.

Circular dependancy error.PNG

Hi @mq2020 ,

Please try to create the following measure to get the flag of every organization with claim:

Org Claiming YN = 
VAR sumofClaimU =
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'User'[User] ), 'User'[User Claimed Y/N] = "y" )
RETURN
    IF ( sumofClaimU > 0, "Y", "N" )

claim users.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Thank you so much @v-yiruan-msft !

I actually applied the same to a calculated column istead of measure so that I could use the column to split my line chart using the Legend Box and use the grouping in slicers which the measure wasnt allowing me to do.

Hi @parry2k 

If 0 users claim-> Organisation Claiming No

If 1 or more than one users claim - Organisation Claiming Yes

Initially I just wanted to fix it my adding a column to the table Organisations to count the number of users claiming for each organisation, then I can add an extra column to do the classification with IF.

It is the count of users claiming that i dont know how to add in the Organisations table - if I could get help with this then that should solve the issue I believe. Thank you so much

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.