Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Talvien
Helper I
Helper I

Create button to switch report tabs

In a tutorial on how to create visual stunning reports in Power BI which was posted in Power BI blog recently i saw a custom made menu to switch between differen report tabs. The menu was build out of different elements but the speaker didn't tell how he linked the tabs to the elements and made them clickable. Any ideas on how he did this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Talvien Sounds like @Mykhael's report. From what I recall, this isn't an actual slicer that can navigate page to page. I think it is a trick he uses to help guide the user to know where they are when using the publish to web feature where you can't see the tabs. So as you click on the tabs the menu changes to reflect the same name as the tab.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SAIGREAT
Regular Visitor

Iam new to power bi. i have this doubt in doing buttons.

How to create button for months? For example, iam going to create two button as NEXT and PREVIOUS . In next button , Default month should be chart of january 2018 . if i click that next button again,  it has to show chart of feb 2018 only not any other month  and vice versa for all months.  Now i have April 2018 chart in display , if i click previous it has to show march 2018 only not feb or jan. 

In this requirement, iam able to do for two months jan and feb, but i need this to happen for all the months .

I believe there are many approaches which may be taken.  Here are a few.

You could make a separate tab for each month, using date filters at page level, then either use buttons and bookmarks on each tab which skip to the next tab, or just export the report as a powerpoint presentation.

Another, more forward compatible approach would be to have one tab for each report layout then use the side filter-pane, make and when you view the report through the Power BI service you can use the side filter pane (even in full-screen view) and select each month as you need it to be displayed, instead of click a next button.

Ishanm959
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

In the latest PowerBI release you will find the "Bookmarks Pane" under Views tab. 
Create a bookmark for the reports and the list of bookmarks appear on the right Pane in PowerBI Desktop

and you can toggle between dfferent reports using image links too.

Hi @Ishanm959 ,

Your answer helped me significantly 👏

khushboo_dixit
Frequent Visitor

I think what you are referring to is - chiclet slicer, it's a custom visual available on office store.

khushboo_dixit
Frequent Visitor

I think you are referring to chiclet slicer, it's a custom visual that you can import from office store.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I seriously doubt they'll implement this into the Desktop any time soon.

As I mentioned in this post...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Page-Navigation/m-p/30459/highlight/true#M10366

The reason being - they want us to use the PBI Service!

And in the Service - clicking the Tiles in a Dashboard takes you to the different Pages.

Then again I could (and hope to) be wrong.

Bringing an old topic up!

Actually when you click on a tile in a dashboard, it takes you to the report page. Is there a way it can take me to another tile/page within the same dashboard.

In my case what I do is pin live pages.

I currently need to have something similar to a homepage on which the user clicks on the title of their choice and it redirects them to the related page of the dashboard.

Consider it as a powerpoint presentation and subtitles are hyperlinked to their specific pages.

So it's like a button click event.

Is that feasible in PBI?

I'm thinking of doing something similar to what you describe: A series of pinned live pages with a "menu" tile at the beginning allowing users to jump to the proper pinned live page. I don't know if this is possible unless each page has its own URL.

Did you ever come up with something that would work?

If you have more than a handful of pinned pages, there is just too much scrolling for this to be a viable solution.

A tabbed dashboard interface - instead of tiles or pages - would be much preferred.

Disclaimer: I'm about a month into PBI; still learning.

@SabineOussi

The only way I can think of is to do this via web URL.

@Talvien Sounds like @Mykhael's report. From what I recall, this isn't an actual slicer that can navigate page to page. I think it is a trick he uses to help guide the user to know where they are when using the publish to web feature where you can't see the tabs. So as you click on the tabs the menu changes to reflect the same name as the tab.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Talvien If its possible for you to put the link here as well in comment so that we can also see and clarify your doubt ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.