Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create bar chart by aggregating on string values

I am new to PowerBI and I need to create 2 visualization(bar chart) which will show the following:

Chart1--- 3 bars for each of the tag strings(alpha, beta, gama) and the count of customers for each tag string(alpha=5, beta=4, gama=4).

Chart2 --- 3 bars for each of the tag strings(alpha, beta, gama) and the total of value for each tag string(alpha=160, beta=90, gama=100).

Please, help me with how to get this two charts with tutorial. Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can split the column using row split

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

Or create a new table in power query using customer and Tags and then split in a new table and join back with customer id.

1. Copy the table and remove columns

2. Select column, Right-click last option, create a new query, and convert to a table.

View solution in original post

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Follow the steps below:

• Select the column Tags
  • Split columns
  • Advance Rows:

MFelix_0-1596457347668.png

Now just do the charts with the tags on the axis.

MFelix_1-1596457463669.png

Check PBIX file attach and code below:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUXLMKchI1FFwSi1JBPIMDZRidaKVnGASQNoIIuQMZEIVQUVcgEz3xFwkba4I86ASxhAJN1SL4NJQk9yhZsPFTSDiHkjOsAAKxQIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, Tags = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Tags", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Tags", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Tags"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Tags", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1"," ","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Tags"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Follow the steps below:

• Select the column Tags
  • Split columns
  • Advance Rows:

MFelix_0-1596457347668.png

Now just do the charts with the tags on the axis.

MFelix_1-1596457463669.png

Check PBIX file attach and code below:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUXLMKchI1FFwSi1JBPIMDZRidaKVnGASQNoIIuQMZEIVQUVcgEz3xFwkba4I86ASxhAJN1SL4NJQk9yhZsPFTSDiHkjOsAAKxQIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, Tags = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Tags", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Tags", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Tags"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Tags", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1"," ","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Tags"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Best thing to do would be to split your column by comma in Power Query Editor. Then, unpivot the three resulting columns. At that point, things should be very easy.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can split the column using row split

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

Or create a new table in power query using customer and Tags and then split in a new table and join back with customer id.

1. Copy the table and remove columns

2. Select column, Right-click last option, create a new query, and convert to a table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak  can you please help me show tutorial on how to create the two visualization. I am having the problem with charts.

@Anonymous ,Can you share sample data and sample output in a table format? 

covered as thrid item in video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XlyzV-PcY&t=31s

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.