Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create an advanced filter with more than 2 options

Hello,

the advanced filter allows to create a filter on an text attribute, specifing start by AAA or Start by BBB

but, what if i want 4 options? The PBI Interface doesn't allow to add conditions, so that in this case i would place start by AAA or start by BBB and then add other 2 options for or start by  CCC and or start by DDD

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Oh that is interesting...

For me if I went directly to Advanced filtering I was only shown two criteria like what your're experiencing. However, if you start with Basic filtering and then select the values for your criteria and then select Advanced filtering those criteria show.

I didn't expect that. I figured you would have to write the logic in your DAX.

1.gif

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Mouchra
Frequent Visitor

It is not working for me on the specific visual (bottom list), online version or desktop, but it works on the fiters for this page though.

How woudl I write the DAX for it for T-603, T-610, T-630 and T-640?

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Looks like it did change, yes.  No longer works for me either.

I tried a few things. I FINALLY got it to work. You have to drag the field you would like to filter by TWICE into the filter column. So the first instance stays unfiltered (being used by the viz directly in some way).

The second instance is the one you can modify for multiple Advanced Filtering and numerous cases. I hope this helps.

LinLinB
Advocate I
Advocate I

I can't get this to work - selecting 4 basic filter conditions and then swapping over to advanced filter - shows no filters are chosen in advanced. Did something change? I've tried a couple of different fields.  

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@smokeeater1996 

I just checked and it is still working for me.  This is something you do on PowerBI.com in the browser, not in PowerBI desktop. 

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Oh that is interesting...

For me if I went directly to Advanced filtering I was only shown two criteria like what your're experiencing. However, if you start with Basic filtering and then select the values for your criteria and then select Advanced filtering those criteria show.

I didn't expect that. I figured you would have to write the logic in your DAX.

1.gif

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hello, is there a possibility to add more options, but not in this way? When it's done like this, all fields must be filled out before applying the advanced filter. This can be avoided by entering the same criteria in multiple options, but they cannot be left blank. Thank you in advance

This is insane.

Why the hell would this not work in the way everyone in the known universe (except for the power BI UX designers) expects it to work?

What if i want to filter a table on a value that might not exist on the table currently, but could if the criteria was right?  It won't exist in the basic filter list.  But if the UI was written in some even mildly sensible way, I could enter it into the advanced filtering to filter it if and when it does occur.

its sh*t like this that makes me look more longingly towards other BI products on an almost daily basis recently

Hi everyone,

this thread was created in 2019, and here we are 4 years later in 2023 with the same situation.

The solution of @ChrisMendoza is obviously helpful, but to me, it just feels like a workaround. I expect better from a big company like Microsoft. It can't be that difficult to add a "+" (plus) button or something similar to add more options when using the Advanced filtering options, can it?!

Hi @jdbuchanan71 , Thanks, just did.

This does not seem to work in the latest version any other options ?

@ChrisMendoza 

I just stumbled across this behaviour and was going to post it but your reply covers it very well already.  

@jdbuchanan71 - Guess it still 'works as intended' 🤷‍♂️

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @ChrisMendoza ,

you are right! 😄 

This is almost funny, because imagine you have a long list with 

AAAsometext1

AAAsometext2

AAAsometext3

AAAsometextn

You can select 4 choices as is AAAsometextXand then, in the advanced filtering, change to contain and change the strings for AAA, BBB, CCC and DDD :D:D

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.