cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valentina14 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Create a tenure column from two different tables using calendar date slicer.

Hi, i've following issue in power bi. Here are the details.

Issue: Capturing the date from a date slicer and using the selected value and use it for tenure. 
I have two date table. One is calendar date table and another one is Employee_Hire_date.

I have to calculate tenure for each date column. I'm using following sql for this. I want to implement this on power BI but i'm facing issue as these two table are not joined with each other. I want the ans in column respective to each hire date.

Tenure = (Calendar(date)-Employee_Hire_date)/365.23

Its not giving me right tenure count since these two tables are not connected. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Create a tenure column from two different tables using calendar date slicer.

Hi @valentina14 ,

As we know, the data in calculated column is not dynamic based on the selected values in a slicer. So we can create measure to work on it. 

Tenure = var _date=SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[Date])-MAX('Table1'[date])
return
IF(_date>0,_date/365.23,BLANK())

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Create a tenure column from two different tables using calendar date slicer.

Hi @valentina14 ,

As we know, the data in calculated column is not dynamic based on the selected values in a slicer. So we can create measure to work on it. 

Tenure = var _date=SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[Date])-MAX('Table1'[date])
return
IF(_date>0,_date/365.23,BLANK())

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the solution. It really works. But in this case i have to calculate the average of the resulted output. And i'm not able to do it using average function as it is in measure.

Could you please provide a solution where i can calculate the average of the resulted measure as i want to display the value in advance card?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @valentina14 ,

To create another new measure.

Measure =
SUMX ( Table1, [Tenure] )
    / CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Employee_Hire] ),
        FILTER ( Table1, [Tenure] <> BLANK () )
    )

2.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Frequent Visitor

Hi, I tried to use this dax but it's giving me wrong count. My employee headcount is a measure hence i used it but its giving me wrong count. I think i've to filter it by employee ids. Could you check it once?