Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sam_sirius
Regular Visitor

Create a table visual with dynamic columns

Hello all,

I am trying to create a table visual in which the user can choose which columns they view via a slicer. I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns, and they thematically can be grouped together into 9 groups. So ideally the user could choose 'group 1' from the slicer and all group 1 columns will populate the table.

For example, say we have the following table:

UID

Name

DOB

Shoe Size

Height

Favourite Colour

Favourite Animal

Favourite Shape

Favourite Food 

Bob

20/06/1963

Blue

Dog

Circle

Pizza

Sarah

21/06/1963

Yellow

Dog

Circle

Lasagne

Sally

22/06/1963

Blue

Cat

Circle

Pizza

Fred

23/06/1963

Red

Cat

Circle

Burger

Harold

24/06/1963

Blue

Hamster

Square

Sausage

I would like to have two permanent columns (group zero) that contain UID and Name. I would then like to designate DOB, Shoe Size, and Height as ‘Basic Information’ (group 1) and the Favourite columns as ‘Favourite things’ (group 2). I would then like to be able to choose which group of columns to view via a slicer.

I have had a deep dive into this and have not been able to find anything that quite matches what I am after. I am happy to be pointed in the direction of any solved solutions or training that is relevant. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sam_sirius ,

You can follow the steps below to achieve it:

1. Add one index column and unpivot the columns except the new index column in Power Query Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc/BDoIwDAbgd9mZBDYQ4QrGcPBg9GQIh6oLkkwXB4uRp7fthUU9rFvT7Ev/thVSRKKyZ6wqiZM8lmWeYlPgkesVDY3XeG1sj7Ue3MVQux/mGUQXtUJhdwQHNyJkQJRM0OukjbGvX2QHI/QPzUzKjDFvYlTAyISdYlmlhun/Khl2W6evRKQhQSFlSfXA0y+h8q7XjglK3ICzhpEsRBSXdNmjgfs44T9c/OnBaU7gMRIm6j4=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [UID = _t, Name = _t, DOB = _t, #"Shoe Size" = _t, Height = _t, #"Favourite Colour" = _t, #"Favourite Animal" = _t, #"Favourite Shape" = _t, #"Favourite Food " = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"UID", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"DOB", type text}, {"Shoe Size", Int64.Type}, {"Height", Int64.Type}, {"Favourite Colour", type text}, {"Favourite Animal", type text}, {"Favourite Shape", type text}, {"Favourite Food ", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Columns", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Group", each if [Columns] ="UID" or [Columns]= "Name" then "group 0" else if [Columns] = "DOB"  or [Columns]=  "Shoe Size" or [Columns]= "Height" then "group 1" else if Text.Contains([Columns],"Favourite") then "group 2" else null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

yingyinr_0-1670314752424.png

2. Create a slicer using [Group] field and matrix visual as below screenshot

yingyinr_1-1670314863912.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sam_sirius ,

You can follow the steps below to achieve it:

1. Add one index column and unpivot the columns except the new index column in Power Query Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc/BDoIwDAbgd9mZBDYQ4QrGcPBg9GQIh6oLkkwXB4uRp7fthUU9rFvT7Ev/thVSRKKyZ6wqiZM8lmWeYlPgkesVDY3XeG1sj7Ue3MVQux/mGUQXtUJhdwQHNyJkQJRM0OukjbGvX2QHI/QPzUzKjDFvYlTAyISdYlmlhun/Khl2W6evRKQhQSFlSfXA0y+h8q7XjglK3ICzhpEsRBSXdNmjgfs44T9c/OnBaU7gMRIm6j4=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [UID = _t, Name = _t, DOB = _t, #"Shoe Size" = _t, Height = _t, #"Favourite Colour" = _t, #"Favourite Animal" = _t, #"Favourite Shape" = _t, #"Favourite Food " = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"UID", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"DOB", type text}, {"Shoe Size", Int64.Type}, {"Height", Int64.Type}, {"Favourite Colour", type text}, {"Favourite Animal", type text}, {"Favourite Shape", type text}, {"Favourite Food ", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Columns", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Group", each if [Columns] ="UID" or [Columns]= "Name" then "group 0" else if [Columns] = "DOB"  or [Columns]=  "Shoe Size" or [Columns]= "Height" then "group 1" else if Text.Contains([Columns],"Favourite") then "group 2" else null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

yingyinr_0-1670314752424.png

2. Create a slicer using [Group] field and matrix visual as below screenshot

yingyinr_1-1670314863912.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

In the Matrix visualization pane, you have added an index column in the Rows field.

But it is not displayed in Matrix visual.

Can you please explain the logic behind that?🤔

Pls refer to the below images, Create a table visual with dynamic columns image.jpg

The 1st Matrix from your Pbi file.

2nd Matrix is my own( 1st column showing the index column)

Thank you in advance.

Thank you, very helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.