cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boddydan
Frequent Visitor

Create a reference to a dataset

Hi everyone,

I have a dataset which is an SQL table imported via a DirectQuery. I'd like to create a few basic measures based on the imported data (such as adding 10 to each item in a specific column).

My problem is that I'd like to not have to remake my measures when I use different datasets. For example, I could have one dataset per city and I'd like to create the same measures for each city (all of the datasets are in the same format). I don't want to make these measures manually for each (because all measures are the same) so I'm looking of a more modular approach.

What I'm thinking is that I create a dataset which contains a reference to my original dataset that I can modify and add measures to. And then when I wish to change the dataset, I can simply change the reference so all of my measures remain, but the reference dataset is different.

Is there a way to do this in BI Desktop? Or alternatively is there a better way to achieve what I'm after?

Perhaps I could even have a dataset containing my measures which takes a dataset as an argument? So that my measures (constant functions) output the correct values based upon the input dataset?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@boddydan You should be able to create a dataset that is a composite model of the DirectQuery source and some other import Power BI dataset that would just contain your measures: Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Learn Power BI 2nd Edition

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 23 2022 epsiode 5 without aka link.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Welcome to the Power BI Community Show! Jeroen ter Heerdt talks about the importance of Data Modeling.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through June10th!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 without aka link and time 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Watch Session 22 Ted's Dev Camp along with past sessions!

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!

Top Kudoed Authors