Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aitormadoz

Create a price list comparison table

Hi all,

I am trying to create a comparison table where I can compare differences between prices for a single reference among several price lists.

Data structure is as follows:

SKUPriceListPrice
AX12
AY13
AZ11
AT10,5
BX6
BY5
BZ4,5
BT7

The result I want to get is a table looking like this:

For SKU A (selected in a slicer of by clicking in another table)

sku:A    

FROM/ TOXYZT
 X0-111,5
 Y1022,5
 Z-1-200,5
 T-1,5-2,5-0,50

Could anyone please give a clue on how to perform this calculation / adapt data structure

mainly is calculating price difference among all suitable combinations for each SKU and price list

thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@aitormadoz 

One way could be to CROSS JOIN price list of each SKU with itself and then computing the difference

Check this Power Query Solution. Please see attached file's Query Editor for steps

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUYoAYkMjpVgdCDcSxDWGc6NAXEM4NwTENdAzBQs4QXWbwXkgzQg5kF4TJLUgzeZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SKU = _t, PriceList = _t, Price = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SKU", type text}, {"PriceList", type text}, {"Price", type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "Comparison", each Table.SelectRows(ChangedType, (X)=>X[SKU] =[SKU])),
    #"Expanded Comparison" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Comparison", {"PriceList", "Price"}, {"Comparison.PriceList", "Comparison.Price"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Comparison", "Diff", each [Price]-[Comparison.Price])
in
    #"Added Custom1"

createon.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is an approach that will not require you to change the structure of your fact table.  You just need another table in your model to represent the comparison price list and then you can let DAX calculations do the rest.

2019-07-22_14h00_13.png

With a model like the above, you can use the following calculation, using the recently added TREATAS function.

I have created a sample workbook here, that you can download: Download

Find out more about the TREATAS function here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/treatas-function

Comparison =
VAR varComparisonPrice =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( [Price] ),
        TREATAS (
            VALUES ( 'Comparison Price List'[Comparison Price List] ),
            'Price List'[Price List]
        )
    )
VAR varPrice =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( [Price] ) )
RETURN
    varComparisonPrice - varPrice

You will get the result that you expect:

2019-07-22_14h02_38.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is an approach that will not require you to change the structure of your fact table.  You just need another table in your model to represent the comparison price list and then you can let DAX calculations do the rest.

2019-07-22_14h00_13.png

With a model like the above, you can use the following calculation, using the recently added TREATAS function.

I have created a sample workbook here, that you can download: Download

Find out more about the TREATAS function here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/treatas-function

Comparison =
VAR varComparisonPrice =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( [Price] ),
        TREATAS (
            VALUES ( 'Comparison Price List'[Comparison Price List] ),
            'Price List'[Price List]
        )
    )
VAR varPrice =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( [Price] ) )
RETURN
    varComparisonPrice - varPrice

You will get the result that you expect:

2019-07-22_14h02_38.png

Thanks a lot

Simple and effective solution

Yours,

Aitor

Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@aitormadoz 

One way could be to CROSS JOIN price list of each SKU with itself and then computing the difference

Check this Power Query Solution. Please see attached file's Query Editor for steps

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUYoAYkMjpVgdCDcSxDWGc6NAXEM4NwTENdAzBQs4QXWbwXkgzQg5kF4TJLUgzeZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SKU = _t, PriceList = _t, Price = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SKU", type text}, {"PriceList", type text}, {"Price", type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "Comparison", each Table.SelectRows(ChangedType, (X)=>X[SKU] =[SKU])),
    #"Expanded Comparison" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Comparison", {"PriceList", "Price"}, {"Comparison.PriceList", "Comparison.Price"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Comparison", "Diff", each [Price]-[Comparison.Price])
in
    #"Added Custom1"

createon.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.