Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NielsFro

Create a new table with measures and a different layout

Hi folks,

I'm new to PowerBI and guess that my question can be answered rather easily by the experts here. I apologize upfront if this has been answered elsewhere - I just don't know the correct keywords to look for what I need 🤐

Here's my challenge.

I have a table that looks more or less like this (I picked random numbers only for clarification).

PeopleInformation 1Information 2Information 3...
Adam167 
Angela622 
Michael472 
Joe336 
Lena617 

I create different measures for each Information column. e.g. Avg, Min, Max, Standard deviation etc.

What I'd like to have in the end is a table that is somehow "shifted" and only holds these calulated measures per Information, looking like this (more or less):

InformationAvgMinMaxSD...
Information 14,00162,121 
Information 23,80172,588 
Information 34,80272,588 

Doing this in Excel would be easy for me, but in PowerBI.... well... I'm looking forward to your replies 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you unpivot your data, it will make your analysis and visualization much easier. In the query editor, select your first column, right click the header and choose "Unpivot Other Columns". This will give you three columns instead of four (People, Attribute, and Value - you can rename as needed).  You can then write fewer measures (e.g., avg, min, max of your value column), and then use the attribute column as the legend in visuals and/or columns in a matrix.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NielsFro

Thanks again, @mahoneypat . This is magic to me 😄 happy Friday, happy weekend!

NielsFro

Thanks a lot for your quick answer! I'm going to look into that right now 🙂

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you unpivot your data, it will make your analysis and visualization much easier. In the query editor, select your first column, right click the header and choose "Unpivot Other Columns". This will give you three columns instead of four (People, Attribute, and Value - you can rename as needed).  You can then write fewer measures (e.g., avg, min, max of your value column), and then use the attribute column as the legend in visuals and/or columns in a matrix.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.