Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

timothystacy
Regular Visitor

Create a new table from distinct values with conditions: Common Problem in Software Licensing area

Hi,

I would appreciate any help with the following:

Goal:  Create a table that identifies the following:

I have three fact tables that identifies software installed by a server name and a product name.  Each fact table represents a different discovery tool.

I created a dimension table for unique product names.  This table is linked to the three fact tables. 

I created a Power BI Report Table that identifies the unique product name (I call it Brand Product Name), distinct servers that use said product and then I have a column for each fact table (Discovery Tool) which identifies if the server is found within each tool environment.   It looks something like this:

Discovery Sources 
Product NameDistinct Server nameTool ATool BTool C
Brand Product NameServer 11  
Brand Product NameServer 211 
Brand Product NameServer 3111
Brand Product NameServer 4111
Brand Product NameServer 5111
Brand Product NameServer 6111
Brand Product NameServer 7111
Brand Product NameServer 8111
Brand Product NameServer 9111
Brand Product NameServer 10   

I want to produce a single table that tells me for all distinct products and distinct servers within each product, which distinct servers from Tool A,  are not found in Tool B and Tool C.

Additionally, I want a table that does the reverse, telling me which servers in Tool B and C, are not in A.    I hope this makes sense.  This is a pattern that is really needed in the software licensing area so it would be  big win to have something in place.

Thanks,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you again.  This appears to work.  Funny, this was not what I was expecting.   The measure approach worked, I assume, because of the model I have in place plus each measure is evaluated on its own.  So, if I have 4 measures applied against the model, I will get the results specific to each measure.  At least, this is the way that it appears.

This was very helpful.

Tim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bitwize_PowerBI
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi Tim,

What if you created a measure that returns a 1 only if 'Tool A' = 1:

Only Tool A = IF([Tool A] = 1 && ISBLANK([Tool B]) && ISBLANK([Tool C]);1;blank())

For your other logic you can create seperate measures.

Regards,

Dries

Thank you.  I applied the measure as you indicated below and it works.  Yet, adding the others to see if it give me all I need.  I am knew to this so it may take another day to provide additional feedback.

Tim

Thank you again.  This appears to work.  Funny, this was not what I was expecting.   The measure approach worked, I assume, because of the model I have in place plus each measure is evaluated on its own.  So, if I have 4 measures applied against the model, I will get the results specific to each measure.  At least, this is the way that it appears.

This was very helpful.

Tim

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.