Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

klcwgs
Frequent Visitor

Create a measure to calculate IRR live

Hi

I have some difficulties calculating IRR using XIRR in PowerBI and was hoping to get some help here.

1. I have a table ("CF") with 3 columns:

Investment, Amount, Date.

I want to create a measure that calculate the IRR for each investment. when i use XIRR(CF,CF[CF_amount],CF[CF_Date],-0.1), PowerBI says an unexpected exception occurred.

2. If I have another table ("Inv_Details") with 2 columns:

Investment, Description

And I want to create a table of IRR for each investment by loading the related cashflows from the "CF" table, below doesn't seem to work? Basically I want to filter CF to get the relevant cashflows for an investment and then calculate IRR from those cashflows and dates.

XIRR(FILTER(CF,CF[Investment]=Inv_Details[Investment]),CF[CF_amount],CF[CF_Date])

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @klcwgs,

Is there any relationship between your "CF" table and ""Inv_Details"" table? If no, you may need to create one between them with CF[Investment] and Inv_Details[Investment] column first.

Then you can try using the formula below to add a new calculate column in "Inv_Details" table to calculate IRR for each investment by loading the related cashflows from the "CF" table. Smiley Happy

Column = XIRR ( RELATEDTABLE ( CF ), CF[CF_amount], CF[CF_Date] )

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @klcwgs,

Is there any relationship between your "CF" table and ""Inv_Details"" table? If no, you may need to create one between them with CF[Investment] and Inv_Details[Investment] column first.

Then you can try using the formula below to add a new calculate column in "Inv_Details" table to calculate IRR for each investment by loading the related cashflows from the "CF" table. Smiley Happy

Column = XIRR ( RELATEDTABLE ( CF ), CF[CF_amount], CF[CF_Date] )

Regards

klcwgs
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I have some difficulties calculating IRR using XIRR in PowerBI and was hoping to get some help here.

1. I have a table ("CF") with 3 columns:

Investment, Amount, Date.

I want to create a measure that calculate the IRR for each investment. when i use XIRR(CF,CF[CF_amount],CF[CF_Date],-0.1), PowerBI says an unexpected exception occurred.

2. If I have another table ("Inv_Details") with 2 columns:

Investment, Description

And I want to create a table of IRR for each investment by loading the related cashflows from the "CF" table, below doesn't seem to work? Basically I want to filter CF to get the relevant cashflows for an investment and then calculate IRR from those cashflows and dates.

XIRR(FILTER(CF,CF[Investment]=Inv_Details[Investment]),CF[CF_amount],CF[CF_Date])

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.