Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a measure for next 12 months, but starting next month?

I have a column in my data table 'Effective Date' with date values like 3/15/2021. I can put this effective date field as a filter, and show only rows within next 12 months with relative date filtering... But it shows data within the current month, which I don't want

My objective: Create a date measure that will allow me to filter by next 12 months, but starting at the first of next month

Example: Today is 3/22/2021. Effective Date: > 4/1/2021 and on

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I probably understand what your needs, the following is a case that I did, you can use it as a reference .

(1)I create a table contains Datecolumn. And calculate table Date with the values from Table[Date]

Date = VALUES('Table'[Date])

(2)Use the table ‘Date’ as a slicer to filter data in another table.

(3)Create a measure to the table ‘Table’

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[sale]),

FILTER('Table',[Date]>=EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1 && [Date]<=EDATE(EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1,12)))

EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1   is the first day of the next month of the date you selected

EDATE(EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1,12)   is the first day of the next month of the date you selected plus 12 months

Use the above 2 times as the interval standard to filter the data of the table Table, you will get the result you want.

The effect is as shown:

Ailsa-msft_0-1616580237395.png

Ailsa-msft_1-1616580237397.png

Ailsa-msft_2-1616580237398.png

Best Regards

Ailsa Tao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I probably understand what your needs, the following is a case that I did, you can use it as a reference .

(1)I create a table contains Datecolumn. And calculate table Date with the values from Table[Date]

Date = VALUES('Table'[Date])

(2)Use the table ‘Date’ as a slicer to filter data in another table.

(3)Create a measure to the table ‘Table’

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[sale]),

FILTER('Table',[Date]>=EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1 && [Date]<=EDATE(EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1,12)))

EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1   is the first day of the next month of the date you selected

EDATE(EOMONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),0)+1,12)   is the first day of the next month of the date you selected plus 12 months

Use the above 2 times as the interval standard to filter the data of the table Table, you will get the result you want.

The effect is as shown:

Ailsa-msft_0-1616580237395.png

Ailsa-msft_1-1616580237397.png

Ailsa-msft_2-1616580237398.png

Best Regards

Ailsa Tao

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood.

I think you can use EOMonth function in your measure.

EOMONTH returns the date that in the end of date in the current month context.

So, if you can add 1 day, it will be always the first date of next month.

I hope it helped.

Thank you.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something like this?

Future Effective Date = EOMONTH('Anaplan Approval Process Audit Log'[Effective Date],12)

Gives me an error for some reason: "A single value for column 'Effective Date' in table 'Anaplan Approval Process Audit Log' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

Hi, @Anonymous 

Sorry but if it is OK with you, can I see your sample pbix file?

Is it connected to the calendar table or not?

How is it connected?

I am not sure, but I think it depends on how your model looks like.

Please share the sample pbix file, and I can try to come up with the solution.

Thanks.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.