Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a function in DAX?

I have a table with about 20 measures displaying a number which is the number of seconds. E.g. 19,000 which means 5 hours 16 minutes and 40 seconds. I can edit each measure and add the logic to do this conversion. But it would be nice to create a function which converts and number into HH:MM:SS format, then simply reference this function in each measure.

How can this be done?

5 REPLIES 5
garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Custom (Reusable) DAX Function   please vote :}

Krutigawale33
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but how do I write 20 measures that simply refer to the [Duration] measure without repeating the logic 20 times?

I'm after something like this:

[Duration in HHMMSS](@seconds) = ** logic to convert seconds to HH:MM:SS **

[Time 1 (hh:mm:ss] = [Duration in HHMMSS]([Time 1 (s)])

[Time 2 (hh:mm:ss] = [Duration in HHMMSS]([Time 2 (s)])

[Time 3 (hh:mm:ss] = [Duration in HHMMSS]([Time 3 (s)])

etc.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, you can't define functions in DAX. (There are some clunky workarounds like defining a parameter table to use as the domain of the function and using filters on that table to pass values into the function but that's not feasible for large domains.)

Fortunately, the code to format is simple. Power BI interprets numbers as durations in days, so you can format N_Seconds in HH:MM:SS as

FORMAT(N_Seconds/60/60/24, "HH:MM:SS")

which isn't much more verbose than calling a separate function anyway.

Another possibility would be to try defining a calculation group where you create a calculation item like this:

FORMAT ( SELECTEDMEASURE()/86400, "HH:MM:SS" )

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can create a function, that is in M, and that can be used in power query -https://radacad.com/custom-functions-made-easy-in-power-bi-desktop

as of now a code like this need to added in all formula

quotient([Value],3600) & ":" & quotient(mod([Value],3600),60) & ":" mod(mod([Value],3600),60)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.