Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Create a flag for this years' week numbers

I have data for 2019 and 2020 to date with the following columns.

YearWeekNumberMetric

I would like to create another column with a flag for week numbers of 2020, e.g. for 2020 I have data for weeks 1 to week 17 so put the value '1' for whenever week number is between these for both years and '0' otherwise.

For 2020, flag values should all be '1'.

Desired output

YearWeekNumberMetricFlag
201916#1
201925#0

I've created the following formula but it doesn't seem to work.

Flag Column = IF(WeekNumber<= CALCULATE(MAX([WeekNumber]),[Year]=2020),1,0))

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this formula and how I would fix it?

Thanks!

afk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bo_afk ,

Please update the formula of your calculated column "Flag Column" with the following one:

Flag Column = IF(WeekNumber<= CALCULATE(MAX([WeekNumber]),FILTER('TABLE_NAME',[Year]=2020)),1,0)

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@bo_afk not clear what you are looking for, in your sample you have year 2019 and one has flag 1 and other 0, please provide bit more context and details.

Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k , this was explained in the post above the "desired output" table.

I would like to create another column with a flag for week numbers of 2020, e.g. for 2020 I have data for weeks 1 to week 17 so put the value '1' for whenever week number is between these for both years and '0' otherwise.

If this isn't visible in the post do let me know and I'll try to fix it.

@bo_afk not clear at all, you have 2019 in your sample data, and flag is set to 1. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k I would like to flag the week numbers by identifying the available weeks for 2020. Since for 2020 we are only at week 17, I would like to flag all rows where week number is between 1 and 17 for 2019 and 2020.

"put the value '1' for whenever week number is between these for both years and '0' otherwise."

Week numbers for 2020 = 1 - 17

Flag = 1 when week number is between 1 and 17

Flag = 0 when week number is not between 1 and 17

Hi @bo_afk ,

Please update the formula of your calculated column "Flag Column" with the following one:

Flag Column = IF(WeekNumber<= CALCULATE(MAX([WeekNumber]),FILTER('TABLE_NAME',[Year]=2020)),1,0)

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft, thanks for your feedback, this has worked perfectly!

Just so I can understand, can you explain why the initial formula didn't work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.