Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a date table that works with date columns in multiple tables

Hi, 

I'm new to Power BI and have been tasked with visualizing customer activity data. I have been given 3 different fact tables:

transactions: data for every transaction made (date, type, etc.)

user: data for user's accounts (created date, user id, status, etc.)

envelope: data about users: (envelope id, user id, etc.)

I need to be able to make a single date table that is connected to both the transaction date and user created date. I've seen posts about using USERELATIONSHIP() but in the scenarios I've seen, the inactive relationship that is used in USERELATIONSHIP() is with a column within the same table as the already established relationship. Is there a way to make a date table work with two different date columns that are in two different tables? 

Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
mangaus1111
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

it is normal to have one date table connected with more fact tables like in this example

mangaus1111_0-1667246904193.png

Have you already tried? What is your specific problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mangaus1111

Thanks for the quick response. 

I've attached a screenshot of my relationships. The date table has an active relationship with one of the desired tables and an inactive one with the other. Apologies for not being able to describe the problem that well I don't quite understand what's happening. 

It's also worth saying that the dax formula for my date table is:

CALENDAR(MIN('public transaction'[date]), MAX('public transaction'[date]))

Could it be a problem with the other tables being related to each other already? Or that my dax only references the one column in the transaction table? 

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 4.20.21 PM.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.