Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a dashboard by Quarter

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with 3 colums. User, Date and Quarter (1,2,3,4). I want to create a bar chart Dashboard that shows how many users are in Quarter 1, 2, 3 and 4. My guess is some how I need to add up each user? but I'm new to Power Bi. So, looking for any guidance or ideas.  

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

import the spreadsheet to Power BI Desktop, after that you will have a table named like the sheet of the spreadsheet.

Create a clustered column chart (make sure the chart is selected), drag the quarter column to the Axis, and the User column to the Value field of the chart. Make sure that the aggregation function Count (Distinct) is selected, by using the little arrow inside the field:

image.png

Hopefully, this gets you started.

Maybe this site will provide valuable information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guided-learning/

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous 

This is actually fairly simple. Once you have the spreadsheet in Power BI:

1. Click the Bar Chart visual

2. Then in the field pane drag your date to the axis.

3. Then, if it didn't automatically create the date hierarchy you can do so by clicking the drop-down menu on the value in the pane.

4. Then simply delete the Year, Month, and Day items by clicking the "x" next to them and you are left with the Quarter.

5. Then drag your User column to the Value section in the field pane. From here you can click the drop-down menu to select count or distinct count depening on if you want all instances of users or only the number of individual users who appear within the given quarter.

If this helps please kudo.

If this solves your problem please accept it as a solution.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

import the spreadsheet to Power BI Desktop, after that you will have a table named like the sheet of the spreadsheet.

Create a clustered column chart (make sure the chart is selected), drag the quarter column to the Axis, and the User column to the Value field of the chart. Make sure that the aggregation function Count (Distinct) is selected, by using the little arrow inside the field:

image.png

Hopefully, this gets you started.

Maybe this site will provide valuable information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guided-learning/

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tom,  Thank you! This helped a lot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.