Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrg64
Frequent Visitor

Create a custom column in query mode containing the period in format "YYYY-MM" from a date column

Hello,

In query mode I've created a new custom column containing the period "YYYY-MM" from another date column (InvoiceDelivery Date):

Transacton period=Number.ToText(Date.Year([InvoiceDeliveryDate]))&"-"&Number.ToText(Date.Month([InvoiceDeliveryDate]))

My problem is that I've got 2018-1 as a result instead of 2018-01, 2018-2 instead of 2018-02 and so on.

Later I'm sorting my charts on this period column and it results in 2018-1, 2018-10, 2018-02, 2018-03 and so on. I want it look like 2018-01, 2018-02, 2018-03 ... instead

I've tried to user the "format" command instead but this is not accepted in the query edit mode. got the message Expression.Error: The name 'FORMAT' wasn't recognized. 

TransactionPeriod = FORMAT(Lagerhyra[InvoiceDeliveryDate];"YYYY-MM")

I have to create the new period column during the query since I use the period field in a "group by" command in the same query!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mrg64 Please try this...

Transaction Period =Text.Combine({Date.ToText(Date.From([InvoiceDeliveryDate]), "yyyy"), "-", Date.ToText(Date.From([InvoiceDeliveryDate]), "MM")})

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mrg64,

In addition to other's post, you can only use your second formula in DAX. As shown in the following example, you can create a calculated column in Power BI data view.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mrg64 Please try this...

Transaction Period =Text.Combine({Date.ToText(Date.From([InvoiceDeliveryDate]), "yyyy"), "-", Date.ToText(Date.From([InvoiceDeliveryDate]), "MM")})

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Thanks a lot, it works perfect Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.