Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a column that takes a value from another row when a criteria is met

Hi,

I have a dataset that contains a unique identifier that is on multiple rows.  Each row has 2 possible dates and ab indicator.  I would liek to create a column that returns one date from those available.

IDPolicy or QuoteQuote DatePolicy DateNew Date Column
1Quote01/01/2019null01/01/2019
1Policynull02/01/201901/01/2019
2Policynull03/01/201903/01/2019
3Policynull04/01/201904/01/2019
4Policynull05/01/201904/01/2019
4Quote04/01/2019null04/01/2019

From the above table you can see the new column I'm trying to create.  I want to show the quote date for an ID which will take the quote date if there is a quaote, but when there is no quote and only a policy, i will take the policy date as the quote date.

I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

This checks for a quote date, and if there is not one it uses the policy date and if there is one, then it uses the quote for all rows that have that policy ID. Here is my PBIX POLICY DATE 

pd.PNG

Matches your column.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

NewQuoteDate =
IF (
    ISBLANK (
        CALCULATE ( MIN ( PolDate[Quote Date] ), ALLEXCEPT ( PolDate, PolDate[ID] ) )
    ),
    PolDate[Policy Date],
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

In Power Query add a conditional column. Use If (table[Quote Date] <> "NULL", table[Quote Date], table[Policy Date])

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Hi @Anonymous ,

So, looking at your table more closely, the logic is:

Use the quote date for both lines, else use the policy date.

Let me know if that is the case. I will be back on line in a couple of hours.

Nathaniel

Hi @Anonymous 

This checks for a quote date, and if there is not one it uses the policy date and if there is one, then it uses the quote for all rows that have that policy ID. Here is my PBIX POLICY DATE 

pd.PNG

Matches your column.

Nathaniel

NewQuoteDate =
IF (
    ISBLANK (
    ),
    PolDate[Policy Date],
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for the quick reply.  Is it possibel to only use the policy date when there is no associated quote? Like the instances of ID's 2 & 3?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.