Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a Rolling 3 month sum within a Rolling X Month calculation

Hey guys, this is a step beyond my last question so I thought I'd create a new post.  

My last post was:  Rolling X Month Trend Line

So thanks to the article that was in that post I was able to get this to work with simple sums.  IE:  Sum of Sales.  

However, my needs vary witht his and one of those needs is to create a more complex calculation.  I want to show what is essentially a sales turnover calculation that has rolling 3 month averages/sums within it.  

So My calculation would be something like this:  (Rolling 3 Month SUM COGS)/ (3 Month Inventory Avg)

Currently my issue is I can't get either the numerator or denominator to show enough data.  My calculation will only show a couple months of data, and not do a rolling sum.  Below is my attempt at just getting a numerator to work:

Rolling X Monthly  % (last n months) = 
VAR MaxFactDate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Date[MeasureDate] ), ALL (  'DIMCalendar'  ) ) -- ignore the selected date filter, and find the max of date in Sales table 
VAR FDate =
    ENDOFMONTH ( 'DIMCalendar'[DateKey] ) -- get the last day of the month selected in the date filter
VAR Edate =
    EDATE ( FDate, -[N Value] ) -- get the last day of -N months

VAR  3MonthRolling = CALCULATE (
    'FACT'[Total COGS],
    DATESINPERIOD (
        'DIMCalendar'[DateKey],
        LASTDATE (  ('DIMCalendar'[DateKey] ) ),
        MONTH
    )
)
VAR NUMERATOR = ( 3MonthRolling*10/2)

RETURN
    IF (
MaxFactDate <= MAX ( 'DIMCalendar'[DateKey] )
&& MaxFactDate > Edate,
   CALCULATE ( IF (  ( NUMERATOR) = BLANK (), 0, ( NUMERATOR)) , ALL (  'DIMCalendar'  ) )
    )
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply but I actually found another post that matched what I wanted to do and the solution for it fixed my problem.

Average 3 Month Question on Power BI

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

Please share your sample pbix or some data sample and expected output. You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading. it will be a better understanding of your requirement.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply but I actually found another post that matched what I wanted to do and the solution for it fixed my problem.

Average 3 Month Question on Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.