Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a Release Note for new reports, visualizations, features created

Hello,

I was looking to create a table from a SharePoint excel file. The file has the release notes which has the issues/ enhancement to the PowerBI report.

I referred to the solution: https://powerbi.tips/2016/09/loading-excel-files-from-sharepoint/

I was able to get to the stage where I do see the excel file in a list. I clicked on 2 arrows(download) in the Content header:

ShivS_0-1650618625161.png

But I do not get the next option where I should be seeing the Data column as in the example below:

ShivS_1-1650618928508.png

(Screenshot from the example)

When I click on the Binary value in the table, I get the below error. Any idea what I need to do?

ShivS_2-1650619191574.png

Alternatively, I might just create a link to the file. I wanted to view it as a table in PBI to create a view to show open items, status, bottlenecks.

I also tried to connect to the file directly (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Quick-steps-for-connecting-to-SharePoint-using-Power...).

I got the below message:

ShivS_0-1650620490317.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It appears that the URL you entered is invalid. When using the SharePoint folder connector, make sure the URL you enter is a link to the Sharepoint site. That is, go to your site, right click on the site icon, and select "Copy Link".

vkkfmsft_4-1650956095057.png    vkkfmsft_3-1650955921406.png

Or use the Web connector to connect directly to the excel file, like this, enter the path to the excel and then log into the SharePoint account that has access to the file.

vkkfmsft_5-1650956130837.png

vkkfmsft_0-1650955523697.png

vkkfmsft_2-1650955599842.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It appears that the URL you entered is invalid. When using the SharePoint folder connector, make sure the URL you enter is a link to the Sharepoint site. That is, go to your site, right click on the site icon, and select "Copy Link".

vkkfmsft_4-1650956095057.png    vkkfmsft_3-1650955921406.png

Or use the Web connector to connect directly to the excel file, like this, enter the path to the excel and then log into the SharePoint account that has access to the file.

vkkfmsft_5-1650956130837.png

vkkfmsft_0-1650955523697.png

vkkfmsft_2-1650955599842.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kkf-msft 

Thank you for the help and sorry for the late reply.

I tried what you said and faced a few errors again and then reallized that I did not remove the part after the .xlsx when usinging the connect from web option

Begineers stupidity!! 

ShivS_2-1651142449436.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , can you click on expand icon near to column name (Data) and try, is it giving the same error

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a screenshot from the link I referred to. I somehow do not see that DATA column after I click on DOWNLOAD from the CONTENT column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.