Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveD2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Create a Reference Layer in Arcgis for use in Power BI

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction. I have an ArcGIS Premium Subscription, and I know I can add custom reference layers via public ArcGIS reference layers. However, what I am finding difficult is the ability to build a custom reference layers to include in the ArcGis public content.

To explain, I have a map shapefile of Postcodes and I wish to add data to the shapefile such as Categorisation (text) and Population (Integer) for each of the postcodes... how do you edit a shapefile to add data?

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

It appears the ability to create a reference layer is not part of the Power BI premium subscription and requires an ArcGis Online subscription.

View solution in original post

danamaya

Thank you for this. it is precisely what I've been looking for. I had gotten to the stage where I had given up on ArcGis and moved over to Mapbox... the same problem though. I find it amazing that I spent time on their forums asking the question on "How to" and I'd never get the answer I was looking for. It's as though this was something novel I was asking for.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
danamaya

See this link: https://dataveld.com/2016/10/02/how-to-add-your-own-arcgis-reference-layer-for-power-bi/

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Thank you.

Thank you for this. it is precisely what I've been looking for. I had gotten to the stage where I had given up on ArcGis and moved over to Mapbox... the same problem though. I find it amazing that I spent time on their forums asking the question on "How to" and I'd never get the answer I was looking for. It's as though this was something novel I was asking for.

An issue I have found with the tutorial is it was done in 2016. ArcGis has updated online and some of the menus have now changed. That aside, I was unable to upload a GeoJson or TopoJson file to the site. It may be that things have changed since the tutorial was created.

danamaya

See this link: https://dataveld.com/2016/10/02/how-to-add-your-own-arcgis-reference-layer-for-power-bi/

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Thank you.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SteveD2,

AFAIK, arcgis visual is lite version of argis map, current it seems not support to edit imported reference layer on power bi side.

Maybe you can contact arcgis team to confirm this if they release this feature to power bi.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

OK, Thank you. I'll contact ArcGis and let you know what their response is.

It appears the ability to create a reference layer is not part of the Power BI premium subscription and requires an ArcGis Online subscription.

So, I've subscribed to an ArcGis Onlne trial to see if I could get this to work. I can create the overlay in ArcGis Desktop but I have had no success in sharing/publishing the layer to the account. 

Is there a step by step instruction manual on how to do this? Has anyone been able to create a customer reference layer and get it hosted in ArcGis?

I have to say I've found QGIS easier to use to create the required layer as an SVG file but, it's too memory intensive to be usefull in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.