Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a Page that is not affected by Roles

Hi Experts,

Is there a method to create a page that is not affected by any roles ?

Example: i have an existing page that has a role for each business user. Each of them access to this existing page with their own Sales Data in details.    Now, i want to create another new Page that is able to populate the total company's Sales data in summary. This page should not be affected by Roles, which means all Business users are able to see the total Company Sales in summary from this page.

Thanks & Regards,

Desmond KOH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

basically, this is not as simple as we might want. The reason for this is simple, the implemented row level security.

Most of the time RLS is implemented on dimension tables, e.g. product. RLS prevents a user is able to see all the sales data, instead, the user is able to see only the products he is responsible for. In situations like this, I create a second "fact table" that does not contain the product dimension, of course, all other rows are grouped. Sometimes these tables are called "aggregation" tables.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle this challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use the concept of Page Level security which can be implemented as a workaround. 

Refer this- Page-Level Security workaround in Power BI - RADACAD

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

basically, this is not as simple as we might want. The reason for this is simple, the implemented row level security.

Most of the time RLS is implemented on dimension tables, e.g. product. RLS prevents a user is able to see all the sales data, instead, the user is able to see only the products he is responsible for. In situations like this, I create a second "fact table" that does not contain the product dimension, of course, all other rows are grouped. Sometimes these tables are called "aggregation" tables.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle this challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, got you!

To duplicate another dimension so that the Roles created under the original Table is not affecting it. 🙂

Hey @Anonymous ,

I do not create a second dimension table, I create a second fact table, but this time without the column that is referenced by the dimension table. Then I'm able to create the Totals, but w/o putting securable details at risk.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, i copy new table from the original. And this table works for the summary result under another page.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.