Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SoniaB102
Frequent Visitor

Create a 'Golden Dataset' with a super complex database data model

Has anyone had any experience trying to create a 'Golden Dataset' with a super complex relational database?

This is more of a general discussion as I was hoping to understand whether people are coming into similar problems and what they decided to do long term.

I have done loads of research and I can 100% see the benefits, but it is ALOT of work creating the Golden Dataset given our data model and then even more re-work with our BI reports.

We have so many tables to combine with millions of rows per table. Combining them all into a single table (or a few tables where possible) does not seem feasible.

I am wondering whether people have had the same problems and how they have overcome it.  Is worth it in the long run? If someone has already done this with a complex relational database, it would be great to hear your learnings from the experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SoniaB102 doesn't matter how many tables or large your database is, as a best practice you want to thrive for Star schema in Power BI regardless of how the table is maintained in the backend.

I have done many large projects with a lot of rows (size of database) and the golden dataset worked perfectly, never ran into any issue until now. 

Now the composite model is available, for some ad-hoc requirements, maybe it will be easier to link other data sources with the golden dataset. I will highly recommend using this approach.

End of the day, it is easy to manage, with better security, few people are allowed to touch the model, make changes, add measures, etc. I find it a win-win for my projects.

This is my experience. I'm sure others have different thoughts/experiences.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SoniaB102 good to hear you find it useful. Indeed, the composite model takes it to the next level, already working on it but cannot use it for production until it is in GA but doing some POC and it is AWESOME.

Good luck!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SoniaB102 doesn't matter how many tables or large your database is, as a best practice you want to thrive for Star schema in Power BI regardless of how the table is maintained in the backend.

I have done many large projects with a lot of rows (size of database) and the golden dataset worked perfectly, never ran into any issue until now. 

Now the composite model is available, for some ad-hoc requirements, maybe it will be easier to link other data sources with the golden dataset. I will highly recommend using this approach.

End of the day, it is easy to manage, with better security, few people are allowed to touch the model, make changes, add measures, etc. I find it a win-win for my projects.

This is my experience. I'm sure others have different thoughts/experiences.

Thanks for your response.  That's great info and helps to know you have used a Golden Dataset multiple times on big datasets  - I shall peservere and also look into composite models!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors