Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kimchizal
Helper II
Helper II

Create a DAX table and measure

Goal is to have a measure calculating a percentage, but I first need help with setting up the data.

I'm lost trying to create the DAX measure that calculates "the percentage of people who grew by 1 point from pre to post" in my data. The data has the following granularity:

SiteID | TimeID | LabelID              | PreOrPost | Name | Score
1234   | 2          | Communication | Pre           | Alice    | 3
1234   | 2          | Communication | Post          | Alice   | 4
1234   | 2          | Communication | Pre            | Bob    | 1
1234   | 2          | Communication | Post          | Bob    | 1
1234   | 2          | Communication | Pre            | Terry   | 4
1234   | 2          | Communication | Post          | Terry   | 4
1234   | 2          | Communication | Pre           | Alice   | 1
1234   | 2          | Communication | Post          | Alice   | 4
1234   | 2          | Communication | Pre           | Terry   | 2
1234   | 2          | Communication | Post          | Terry   | 5

So as you can see, there are records for each person within each group of SiteID, TimeID, and LabelID for a `Pre` measurement and `Post` measurement. I'm trying to find the number of people who grew 1 or more points from pre to post.

For Communication, only Alice grew by 1 or more points. For Thoughtfulness though, both Alice and Terry grew by 1 or more. So the expected output of the previous table would be along the lines of:

LabelID              | Percentage
Communication | 33.33%
Thoughtfulness  | 100%

This didn't seem plausible with just a measure or two, so I've been trying to generate a table that does a self-join but that's been hard for me to setup. I can't even get a proper table `Generate`d. This is what I've tried but with errors:

= GENERATE(Table1, SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(Table1, Table1[Pre or Post] = "Post"),
Table1[SiteID ],
Table1[TimeID ],
Table1[LabelID ],
Table1[Pre or Post],
Table1[Name],
Table1[Score]
)
)
but that doesn't even work...

The table would probably have to do some sort of self-join on siteid, TimeID, and LabelID and Left.PreorPost = Pre and Right.PreorPost = Post. That way, I can get both the Pre and Post scores in 1 row.

Would love help or at least some guidance as to how to get the table setup. After that, I should be able to get a measure figured out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kimchizal  - Try the following measure:

% Improved = 
var pre1 = SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(Table1,Table1[PreOrPost]="Pre"),"LabelIDAndName",Table1[LabelID] & Table1[Name], "Pre", [Score])
var post2 = SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(Table1,Table1[PreOrPost]="Post"),"LabelIDAndName",Table1[LabelID] & Table1[Name], "Post", [Score])
var combined = NATURALINNERJOIN(pre1,post2)
var change = ADDCOLUMNS(combined,"Change",[Post]-[Pre])
return DIVIDE(
    COUNTROWS(FILTER(change,[Change]>0)),
    COUNTROWS(change)
)

You could use the split into a Calculated Table and a Measure - the "Return" portion would be the measure.

You could also Pivot the table in Power Query - Pivot on the PreOrPost column, with Score as the Pivoted column.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kimchizal  - Try the following measure:

% Improved = 
var pre1 = SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(Table1,Table1[PreOrPost]="Pre"),"LabelIDAndName",Table1[LabelID] & Table1[Name], "Pre", [Score])
var post2 = SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(Table1,Table1[PreOrPost]="Post"),"LabelIDAndName",Table1[LabelID] & Table1[Name], "Post", [Score])
var combined = NATURALINNERJOIN(pre1,post2)
var change = ADDCOLUMNS(combined,"Change",[Post]-[Pre])
return DIVIDE(
    COUNTROWS(FILTER(change,[Change]>0)),
    COUNTROWS(change)
)

You could use the split into a Calculated Table and a Measure - the "Return" portion would be the measure.

You could also Pivot the table in Power Query - Pivot on the PreOrPost column, with Score as the Pivoted column.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.