Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JasonG-BI
Helper I
Helper I

Create a Calculated Column from Different Tables using if formulae from Azure SQL Database

BI Example.jpg

Hi All,

I have a direct query link to a data base which has multiple tables.

Basic

I am trying to create an column that basical says, if the Column 1 which is in table 1 = something, then subtract Column 2

from Column 3 in table 2.  The reason for not just using filters is that i want to create further calculations using the newly created columns.

Detail

One of my tables is a list of a Nominal Codes called "Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code"  and the other table is a table of actual transactions"Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting" the are linked via nominal code.  So i am trying to say if the nominal code =7001 in "Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code" then Subtract Credit Value from Debit Value .

I have tried using the if formulae but i am relatively new to BI and i am stuck on this one, any help is much appreciated. I but a copy of the tables and columns in question above.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful using calculated columns...the dramatically increase the size of your data model.  There's nothing inherently wrong with calculated columns, and it's a great way to create a column to use as an attribute (think slicer or something you want on the x-axis of a column chart).

I'm guessing you have a 1:* relationship between Code table and Transaction Posting table.

This code will create a calculated column in your Transaction Posting table with the value you seek:

Column =
IF (
    RELATED ( 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] ) = 7001,
    /*This assumes that the [Nominal_Code] column is formatted as a number, use "7001" if it's formatted as text*/
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Debit_Value]
        - 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Credit_Value],
    BLANK ()
)

This is the same logic but set up as a measure.  This will take all of the rows of the Transaction Posting table in the current filter context, and then apply the additional filter of Nominal Code = 7001.  It will perform the subraction that you described, and then add up each of those individual results.

[Measure] =
CALCULATE (
    SUMX (
        'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting',
            - 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Credit_Value]
    ),
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] = 7001
)

A final piece of advice.  Come up with user friendly names for your tables.  I recommend "LedgerCode" and "Transactions"  It will make your code much easier to follow.

[Measure] =
CALCULATE (
    SUMX (
        Transactions,
        Transactions[Debit_Value]
            - Transactions[Credit_Value]
    ),
    LedgerCode[Nominal_Code] = 7001
)

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column with OR =
IF (
    RELATED ( 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] ) 
        IN {"Description 1", "Description 2", "Description 3", etc.},
    /*Add as many descriptions as you want inside quotes and separated by commas.  Note the CURLY BRACES to define this as a list.*/
    BLANK ()
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

[Measure] =
CALCULATE (
    SUMX (
    ),
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] IN  {"Code 1", "Code 2", "Code 3"...}
)

Same structure as the first measure I gave you.  I just used the

IN {"Code 1", Code 2", "Code 3"...} instead of = Code 1 approach.  IN works as a multiple OR statement.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful using calculated columns...the dramatically increase the size of your data model.  There's nothing inherently wrong with calculated columns, and it's a great way to create a column to use as an attribute (think slicer or something you want on the x-axis of a column chart).

I'm guessing you have a 1:* relationship between Code table and Transaction Posting table.

This code will create a calculated column in your Transaction Posting table with the value you seek:

Column =
IF (
    RELATED ( 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] ) = 7001,
    /*This assumes that the [Nominal_Code] column is formatted as a number, use "7001" if it's formatted as text*/
    BLANK ()
)

This is the same logic but set up as a measure.  This will take all of the rows of the Transaction Posting table in the current filter context, and then apply the additional filter of Nominal Code = 7001.  It will perform the subraction that you described, and then add up each of those individual results.

[Measure] =
CALCULATE (
    SUMX (
    ),
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] = 7001
)

A final piece of advice.  Come up with user friendly names for your tables.  I recommend "LedgerCode" and "Transactions"  It will make your code much easier to follow.

[Measure] =
CALCULATE (
    SUMX (
        Transactions,
        Transactions[Debit_Value]
            - Transactions[Credit_Value]
    ),
    LedgerCode[Nominal_Code] = 7001
)

Thanks For your help on this i ended up using th column. Is there a way in can use the above but for multiple options? i.e If OR function so if it equals this or, or, or this add the the two columns is there a simpler way than the below.

Parts Workshop COS-1 =
IF (
    RELATED ( 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Description] ) = "Parts Cost Service - Retail",
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Credit_Value]-'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Debit_Value],
    BLANK ())+IF (
    RELATED ( 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Description] ) = "Parts Cost Service Non Franchise",
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Credit_Value]-'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Transaction_Posting'[Debit_Value],
    BLANK ())

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column with OR =
IF (
    RELATED ( 'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] ) 
        IN {"Description 1", "Description 2", "Description 3", etc.},
    /*Add as many descriptions as you want inside quotes and separated by commas.  Note the CURLY BRACES to define this as a list.*/
    BLANK ()
)

Thats Great Thanks Chris, I Take your point about using measures is it possible to use the above forumlae as a measure? with multiple or filters? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

[Measure] =
CALCULATE (
    SUMX (
    ),
    'Accounts Nominal_Ledger_Code'[Nominal_Code] IN  {"Code 1", "Code 2", "Code 3"...}
)

Same structure as the first measure I gave you.  I just used the

IN {"Code 1", Code 2", "Code 3"...} instead of = Code 1 approach.  IN works as a multiple OR statement.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors