cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Microsoft mjfulke
Microsoft

Re: Create Your Own Custom Map for Power BI

Clicking download doesn't work for some reason.  I just cut and paste the results into a text editor and save with a .json extension

peterg417
Frequent Visitor

So I managed to get a couple of KML files from our market intelligence peeps, converted to JSon file format and imported it without a hitch. The only thing that surprised me is that I was expecting the custom maps to function as overlays on a map. I want to have our markets to overlay the city of Toronto and surrounding areas, instead of just showing a map of the markets. 

Is there a way to do that? If I open the KML file in Google Earth, then it does exactly that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

robofski Resolver II
Resolver II

Great tutorial, can't wait to try it, been wanting to do this for a while but everything I read just sounded Greek to me! This makes it seem very possible. Thanks. 

BManTN

Hi, thank you for the tip.  I have searched, but cannot find if there is an easy way to create a custom map for sales districts and regions if those territories are mapped to specific counties or ZIP codes?  For example, we divide the US into 5 regions and 21 districts.  The districts are organized by counties (which may cross state borders).  I have a simple Excel table that has county/state to district to region.  How do you link the counties together to the district, and then the district to the region?

Leila
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the tutorial.
I have a question and would appreciate if u please care to answer. My map has 22 zones which is also visible when I look at the "map key" in Power BI (after doing what was suggested in the tutorial). However the tables it generates include only a 3-rows table that I cannot figure out what it is. 
How can I get the map keys to appear in columns so that I can correspont other sources like density to these 22 zone?

ps: If it can help to understand my problem better, this is the link to the site I get the map data from. 
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1-6HQGXmwwew02zeDR5KpY1OA1mc&hl=en_US&ll=35.71139552629039%...

Microsoft mjfulke
Microsoft

In your example Region->District->County, I would suggest creating a map at the District level by drawing around the counties that make it up. Then use slicer for Region to select Regions (a collection of districts). As of today, shape maps don't support layer for a drill down type effect.
Microsoft mjfulke
Microsoft

Hello, All of the map keys should be visible in MapShaper.org. Click the info ("i") on the right menu and then select the different shapes. All of these columns should show up as keys in the Power BI shape map visual. The "name" column is the one you want to map your data to. NOTE: The Map Key dialog box is very skinny so you may need to scroll to the right to see the name column
fonz11 Advocate II
Advocate II

YOU Sir, are an absolute Rock-starring, Data-cruishing, PBI community killing, Map-vizualizing freaking NINJA! 

Thank you for your post. Hummanity is better off for you having posted it. 

Sincerely, 

Alfonso in San Diego, CA. 

P.S. California Burrito and IPA on me if you're ever down here Robot LOL

hdunn
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for posting this.

I am able to upload my data into the shape map. 

My issue is that my data was converted with over 500 polygons and it covers the whole Australia. It hangs the whole report while refreshing the map.

I think this could be caused by the size of the map.

Is there size limitation for a customised map, particularly for long road or large polygons with many vertex?

Helen

Capstone Resolver I
Resolver I

I believe so as well as Im having the same problem for the last few days. My file sizes are around 25MB and power BI doesnt like it. I imported the statistical areas map of Australia and though it imports fine, you cant do much with it as it freezes and crashes. Hope they fix it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors