cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hdunn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Create Your Own Custom Map for Power BI

I initially tried Esri Map option. It generalised so much that you couldn't even recognise the area. 

Wonder if anyone has used both maps successfully on the REAL spatial data, not just simple point data.

I contacted Esri support, and was told that this product is not supported by Esri and advised to contact MS. I don't know who to contact in Microsoft to discuss both maps. Anyone has idea?

I recommand there should a special discussion community of using maps.

Helen

mjfulke Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

My suggestion is to use mapshaper.org and use the "Simplify" feature.  You will find that by reducing the complexity of your shapes up to as much as 50-60% you can visually get about the same map.  For example, I have a map of all the counties in the U.S. which is approximately 3000 shapes.  The total file size is 1.25 MB.    It's not as much a Power BI problem but a PC/device issue trying to render lots of detailed Polygons.  Use mapshaper to reduce the detail of your shapes and it should render faster.

hdunn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. Hopefully, it won't have the similar behavious as the Esri Map into which I published the same data and used in other GIS applications without problem. It was simplied on the fly when it loaded into the Power BI.

Helen 

Capstone Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thank you. I used the simply option in mapshaper and it certaintly helps render faster.

hdunn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

FYI. After a few simplification trials, I found a data below 1MB doesn't slow down the report. 4MB data is still too big with my quite powerful PC.

My next issue is the location is not recognised. Even though I set automatic Zoom/Selection Zoom on. It doesn't behave the same as the standard map, such as Australian State map.

Is there requirement the map data must meet?

Thanks

Helen

hdunn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Does your custom map work with slice?

Helen 

mjfulke Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

absolutely works with slicers!

hdunn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Strange. Mine never worked. There is no way to assign the relationship with the map data. Do I need the same physical column names for the location in the data and the json file?

mjfulke Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@hdunn your "Name" property in the Google Maps needs to have values that match your data values.   Then it should work and you can set auto-zoom etc. and it will just work.

hdunn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yes. It have the same number of rows and the name value is the same as I can perform database join using the source dataset. Do I need a column name as "NAME"?