Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create UNION keeping DAX calculated fields (ways to perform this)

Hello,

I just created a report in which I get data from multiple tables with different data structure. I needed to create some calculated fields in each table and after that to perform UNION in order to create a single master table from which I created my visuals. 

I had to perform UNION in DAX (and not in query editor) so I could keep the DAX calculated fields after the UNION. UNION in DAX required to add a big amount of columns in each table and arrange all these columns in the same order so all columns had a correct match in UNION. 

The issue in this is that, now I have a very sensitive report when I need to make changes in its structure. For example, when I need to add a new column I need to add this column to all tables maintain the same order in all tables and then use the new column to the report.

Is there any other way to perform UNION keeping the DAX formulas without have all this trouble when my data structure changes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Anonymous 

First, Each table argument of 'UNION' must have the same number of columns.

Second, for your requirement, you could add blank columns in SELECTCOLUMNS expression not in table.

For example:

SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"a",[a],"b",[b],"blank c",BLANK())

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @Anonymous 

When you use UNION function to create the table, 

Use SELECTCOLUMNS expression instead of a tanle name

for example:

Table = UNION(Table1,SELECTCOLUMNS(Table3,"A",[A],"B",[B],"C",[C]))

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Li,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I tried to apply the solution you suggested. However, this solution still requires all the tables to have the same number of columns as I get the following message "Each table argument of 'UNION' must have the same number of columns.

Please see my example below: 

As you can see some fields exist in both tables and some others don't. My task is to append the data of Table 2 just below of the data of Table 1 and the fields that do not exist in Table 1 or 2 to be blank automatically.

test teble = UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS('Table1'; "d"; [d]; "pi"; [pi]; "LA"; [LA]; "ba"; [ba]; "ve"; [ve]; "SO"; [SO]; "O"; [O]; "AV"; [AV]; "P"; [P]; "B"; [B]; "C"; [C]; "R"; [R]);
SELECTCOLUMNS('Table 2'; "d"; [d]; "LA"; [LA]; "pr"; [pr]; "ba"; [ba]; "BB"; [BB]; "F"; [FV]; "O"; [O]; "AV"; [AV]; "B"; [B]; "C"; [C]; "HA"; [HA]; "P"; [P]; "R"; [R]; "CO"; [CO]; "D"; [D]; "S"; [S]; "Con"; [Con)])
)

As I mentioned in the first message I would like to avoid the process of adding blank columns manually in all tables in order to meet the requirement to have all tables with the same amount of columns and also to have the trouble of sorting them correctly.

What do you think?

hi, @Anonymous 

First, Each table argument of 'UNION' must have the same number of columns.

Second, for your requirement, you could add blank columns in SELECTCOLUMNS expression not in table.

For example:

SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"a",[a],"b",[b],"blank c",BLANK())

Best Regards,
Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is working fine! Many thanks for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.