Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Create Table

I labeled this as Need Help although this may be just commentary on the Desk Top interface.

When in Data View one is offered the icon in the Home tab 'Enter Data' : it opens up a pop up named 'Create Table'

When in Data View one is offered the icon in the Modeling tab 'New Table'

...... this is a bit confusing in the labeling between these terms..... does one not consider a New table to be a Created table?

In Enter Data /'Create Table' pop up : 

a) there is no cursor indicator to know to type within the column1 field

b) in order to enable editing in a field once you've left the row, you have to do a fast double click which is not intuitive

In New Table mode: one can create the new table using Dax i.e. NewTable2 = Table1

* but this NewTable2 does not appear in the Edit Queries list - which is an unexpected until you learn this

I would expect that Enter Data is meant to be: Create Table via manual data entry

while New Table is meant to be: Create Table via a DAX formula

thereby having equal status and in the end one has a new table - that is then listed in the Queries Editor

But as is now - the labeling and the behavior are similar yet different.....

www.CahabaData.com
1 REPLY 1
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@CahabaData

It’s a good summary of “Enter Data” and “New Table” functions. And I think following two official documents also explain these two functions exactly.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-enter-data-directly-into-desktop/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-calculated-tables/

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.