Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create Sub Table to Map Time Range

I have a table which consists of a DateTime range. I want to graphically count the # of records that fall into that time range by the hour. 

Table: 

trx_no, trx_begin_dt, trx_en_dt, Start Date, Start Time

Start Date & Start Time are just separated from trx_begin_dt

The target should look something like this: https://imgur.com/G6NNI5M

But what I get by graphic the trx_begin_dt is this: https://imgur.com/a/H54eh6n

My idea was to create a calculated table which would consist of a single record for each hour used to acheive the desired graph, but I don't know how to go about doing it. I was hoping someone could might be able to help me go about acheiving this kind of table, or if there was another way of doing it.

Like this: https://imgur.com/a/LEVYH9j

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft ,

I was able to achieve the desired affect with a sub table in power query.

The table in question looks like this:

Capture.PNG

trx_no: transaction ID

trx_begin_dt: Start DateTime

trx_end_dt: End DateTime

sched_unit: # of hours in the booking (i.e End - Start)

Each record represents a scheduled booking of a resource. I want to graph the utilization of resources hourly. I was able to achieve this effect by creating a sub table from the original table. Using List.Numbers basically make a list of numbers from 0 to # hours in 15 minute increments. i.e 2 Hr booking = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}. Then Table.ExpandListColumn to repeat the record for each number in the list. Then calculate dt_point which will be the Start Time + (15 minutes * sched_unit_index) used as a data point in the graph. The final graph will be a count of dt_point.

#"Added sched_unit_index" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "sched_unit_index", each List.Numbers(0, 4*[sched_unit])),
#"Expanded" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added sched_unit_index", "sched_unit_index"),
#"Added dt_point" = Table.AddColumn(Expanded, "dt_point", each [trx_begin_dt]+#duration(0,Number.RoundDown([sched_unit_index]*0.25),60*([sched_unit_index]*0.25-Number.RoundDown([sched_unit_index]*0.25)),0))

This query results in:

image.png

The graph (x: dt_point, y: resource count):

image.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Could you share more details about what which columns/measures/calculate columns are used in the stacked bar chart and what does the table structure look like?

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft ,

I was able to achieve the desired affect with a sub table in power query.

The table in question looks like this:

Capture.PNG

trx_no: transaction ID

trx_begin_dt: Start DateTime

trx_end_dt: End DateTime

sched_unit: # of hours in the booking (i.e End - Start)

Each record represents a scheduled booking of a resource. I want to graph the utilization of resources hourly. I was able to achieve this effect by creating a sub table from the original table. Using List.Numbers basically make a list of numbers from 0 to # hours in 15 minute increments. i.e 2 Hr booking = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}. Then Table.ExpandListColumn to repeat the record for each number in the list. Then calculate dt_point which will be the Start Time + (15 minutes * sched_unit_index) used as a data point in the graph. The final graph will be a count of dt_point.

#"Added sched_unit_index" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "sched_unit_index", each List.Numbers(0, 4*[sched_unit])),
#"Expanded" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added sched_unit_index", "sched_unit_index"),
#"Added dt_point" = Table.AddColumn(Expanded, "dt_point", each [trx_begin_dt]+#duration(0,Number.RoundDown([sched_unit_index]*0.25),60*([sched_unit_index]*0.25-Number.RoundDown([sched_unit_index]*0.25)),0))

This query results in:

image.png

The graph (x: dt_point, y: resource count):

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.