cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create Relationship: Power BI not Sensing Unique Keys

Hello,

I have a dataset connected to a MySQL server with a set of tables with primary and foreign keys that come from our Saleforce instance. I'm trying to create a relationship between my fact table and one of the dimension tables in Power BI.

When I use to relationship manager and attempt to create a relationship between the foreign and primary keys, using the connection to the MySQL server, Power BI kicks back an error:

Capture.PNG

However, if I download the smaller dimension table to a csv and import it into Power BI no such error is thrown. I have other dimension tables in the MySQL server with a similar setup that are not having this issue, and unfortunately I need to use the MySQL connection to this table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Create Relationship: Power BI not Sensing Unique Keys

Could be that your Dimension table could have some blank rows that.  I'd take a look at the table in Power Query and remove duplicates and see if there are any imported blanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Could be that your Dimension table could have some blank rows that.  I'd take a look at the table in Power Query and remove duplicates and see if there are any imported blanks

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, the issue was having a null key.

Even though it was unique in the dimension table, Power BI still required there to be no null values. I just filled the single null value key with a string value of 'None'. That fixed it.

Much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 417 members 4,192 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: