Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alkhos
Advocate I
Advocate I

Create Multiple Heatmaps in Power BI

Hello,

I have a question regarding creation of heatmaps in Power BI.

Assume that I have a dataset with the following four columns:

date   srcLocation  dstLocation   Value

The goals is to create heatmap for each date that is seen in the data. Here are the steps that I believe should be followed, and need some reference / help on either one:

1. Slice the data based on date, i.e. create a dataset for each unique date in the dataset

2. For each slice, transform the flat data into a matrix, i.e. column names should be srcLocation and row names should be destLocation and values should appear for each pair

3. Plot a heatmap that is sliced for each of the above matrices. Ideally, user can choose a date and see its heatmap.

Are there ways to achieve 1 and 2?

For 3, is the only way to create a visual in R? or does PBI have some heatmap visuals already?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Alkhos,

In your scenario, you can use Treemap to display values like the matrix, and place Date field within the slicer visual to filter Treemap data. See:

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alkhos,

1. Slice the data based on date, i.e. create a dataset for each unique date in the dataset

You can open Query Editor, right click the column [date] and select Remove Duplicates. Back to the report, place [date] in a slicer visual.

q1.PNG

2. For each slice, transform the flat data into a matrix, i.e. column names should be srcLocation and row names should be destLocation and values should appear for each pair

You can just drag a matrix visual to the report page which has slicer visual, then place [srcLocation] in Columns and [destLocation] in Rows.

3. Plot a heatmap that is sliced for each of the above matrices. Ideally, user can choose a date and see its heatmap.

There is a custom visual named Table Heatmap, you can download from Visuals Gallery.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft,

Steps 1 and 2 seems trivial, but I am confused on how to pass the matrix to the heatmap.

Ideally, I want to pass a dataset with the format similar created in step 2 to the "Table Heatmap" visual that you mentioned; however, the matrix is in my visuals not in query editor. Is there a way to send back these matrices to the available data so that they can be consumed by step 3?

Thanks

Ali

Hi @Alkhos,

Can you share some sample data and expected data table? So that we can check whether we can achieve it in Query Editor.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Here is some sample data:

Untitled.png

So I deally I want to have a heatmap ( similar to the matrix visual ) that has src for the rows and dest for the columns and average of values for all dates at the intersection points ( actually if matrix visual had conditional formatting like the table, it would have done the trick ). Then I want to have a slicer that can be used to filter (avergae) data for (a) specific day(s)

Bests

Ali

Hi @Alkhos,

In your scenario, you can use Treemap to display values like the matrix, and place Date field within the slicer visual to filter Treemap data. See:

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Alkhos
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello,

I have a question regarding creation of heatmaps in Power BI.

Assume that I have a dataset with the following four columns:

date   srcLocation  dstLocation   Value

The goals is to create heatmap for each date that is seen in the data. Here are the steps that I believe should be followed, and need some reference / help on either one:

Are there ways to achieve 1 and 2?

For 3, is the only way to create a visual in R? or does PBI have some heatmap visuals already?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.