Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

runnerpaul
Regular Visitor

Create Morning/Afternoon columns based on DateTime column

Hi,

I have a table with a datetime column called CREATEDDATETIME. I want to use it to create a new column where depending on the time it gets populated with Morning or Afternoon. Anything before 13:00 would be morning and anything after would be Afternoon. Is this possible and if so how do I do it?

Cheers

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SamLester
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul, you can use the HOUR function in an IF statement to calculate this.

Example:

MorningAfternoon = if((HOUR(TimeTable[CREATEDDATETIME]) <= 12), "Morning", "Afternoon")

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SamLester
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul, you can use the HOUR function in an IF statement to calculate this.

Example:

MorningAfternoon = if((HOUR(TimeTable[CREATEDDATETIME]) <= 12), "Morning", "Afternoon")

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked, thank you.

Hi @SamLester ,

I just have another follow up question regarding shift system that I'm trying to create in power bi and hope you have some solution.

In my case I need to create based on the day, for example if it's monday or tuesday etc., so in Excel I used Switch function as follows. I could do this by "IF" but it's going to be a very long formula so I was wondering if there's any better way.

SWITCH([@Day];"mon";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;6;15};{"N";"FM";"EM"});"tue";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;6;15};{"N";"FM";"EM"});"wed";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;6;15};{"N";"FM";"EM"});"thu";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;6;15};{"N";"FM";"EM"});"fri";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;6;15};{"N";"FM";"N14"});"Sat";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;5;18};{"N14";"D13";"N14"});"sun";LOOKUP([@Hour];{0;8;18};{"N14";"D13";"N"});"") 

where N= night, FM= morning and EM= afternoon etc.  

Thank you in advance,

/Kranthi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.