Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Create Milestone Trend Analysis (MTA) in Power BI?

Hi there! I am struggling with a request from a customer who wants a Milestone Trend Analysis (MTA) in Power BI.
The main issue is that I need to have Dates as both X and Y axis! Any suggestions?

Example: http://www.project-management-knowhow.com/images/MTA_3.gif
12 REPLIES 12
JoaquimGui

I was also looking for a solution to create a Milestone Trend Analysis (MTA) in Power BI. For those looking for a free solution, I developed the MTA in Deneb using Vega-Lite. You can of course change the Vega-Lite code to your needs and/or add more functionality.

I wrote a blog post explaning how to create the MTA here --> https://www.data-traveling.com/articles/milestone-trend-analysis-visual-in-power-bi-with-deneb You can also find the Power BI report in the blog post.

See a screenshot below:

1.PNG

Michel_Dekker
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mardin,

It took us some time, but we have developed an MTA for Power BI.

Probably not usefull for the project you mention, but for future projects have a look here: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/novasilvagroupbv1626174611009.milesto...

MTAscreenshot.png

Hi,

We are trying to use the MTA visual, but no succes  yet. Can you provide a sample pbix so we can understand how it works?

Thanks,

Irina

Hi Irina,

At the Microsoft AppSource you can download a demo book (example PBIX)

Michel_Dekker_0-1673624331188.png

Click on Download Sample.

Does this work?

Michel

Yes, Thanks 😉

barakb32
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @Mardin ,

We had the same requirement.

We used the Python visual to meet this requirement.

Regards,

Barak

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @barakb32 ,

Your solution sounds really interesting !

Do you have an example showing how it is built on GitHub?

I feel comfortable using ggplot2 or matplotlib but it is different to build an entire visual from scratch...

Regards, 

Romain

@barakb32 wrote:

Hi @Mardin ,

We had the same requirement.

We used the Python visual to meet this requirement.

Regards,

Barak

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here it is: https://github.com/barakb32/PBI-MTA

Regards,

Barak

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @barakb32 , this is really nice !

Best regards,

Romain

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Mardin,

Currently, in Power BI, it is not possible to use Dates on Y axis as shown in your image, Power BI expect a measurement on Y axis.

As a workaround for your issue, you can create the MTA chart in Excel, then pin the chart to Power BI Dashboard following the guide in this article. Another option is to create the visual using R in Power BI, for more details, please review this similar thread.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the tips! 🙂

Do you know if it's possible to incorporate an Excel chart in a PowerBI Report? ...Not pin it to a Dashboard but actually show it within a report. For this task it would not be feasable to only pin it in a Dashboard since the chart is to be used next to other stuff in the report.

I may have to look in to R-script at some point, but at the moment I haven't learned it yet.

Right now I am playing with the thought of simply converting the dates that I need on the Y-axis to some sort of Index number or value representing the date. Any ideas are welcome! 🙂

@Mardin,

There is no method to incorporate Excel chart in Power BI report except pinning the chart to dashboard.

As your post, you can try to convert dates to numeric data.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.